Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am "selling" this car to a friend, but can't find reliable price info. Is it worth more or less than $4,000. How much?

-2nd owner, bought used in 86
-70K original miles, cylinder head replaced at 40K
-syncromesh out on 2nd gear
-canvas top in fair to good condition
-new leather seats (passenger side still to be installed)
-new paint, similar to original, but not authentic alfa color
-new tires
-very little rust

Any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Never sell a car to a friend, IMO

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Check here for comparable cars/prices: http://jaxed.com/cgi-bin/ms.cgi?veh=alfa romeo

It all depends on where you are and how bad your friend wants it! I actually have only sold cars to friends, the only drawback for me has been when they didn't take as good of care of the cars as I would have liked!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I am "selling" this car to a friend, but can't find reliable price info. Is it worth more or less than $4,000. How much?

-2nd owner, bought used in 86
-70K original miles, cylinder head replaced at 40K
-syncromesh out on 2nd gear
-canvas top in fair to good condition
-new leather seats (passenger side still to be installed)
-new paint, similar to original, but not authentic alfa color
-new tires
-very little rust

Any help greatly appreciated.
I have an '82 and in the same color no less. I bought mine last year for $6K-but in FAR BETTER condition than what I can tell from the photo. Mine has new EVERYTHING from the tires to the top {less than 1K miles ago} It was a California car (inland-not coastal) In all I have $7-8K wrapped-up in it with all the little 'bits' included.
Off the cuff I'd say it looks to be 'south' of $4K depending what it REALLY needs.[btw-mine was/is TOTALLY rust-free]
Also, don't buy from a(close) friend-it will put 'friedship' to the test. If you still feel you want it-go for it; they are fun (AND high maintenance)
Got to love those Italian women..........Ed K:cool:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have an '82 and in the same color no less. I bought mine last year for $6K-but in FAR BETTER condition than what I can tell from the photo. Mine has new EVERYTHING from the tires to the top {less than 1K miles ago} It was a California car (inland-not coastal) In all I have $7-8K wrapped-up in it with all the little 'bits' included.
Off the cuff I'd say it looks to be 'south' of $4K depending what it REALLY needs.[btw-mine was/is TOTALLY rust-free]
Also, don't buy from a(close) friend-it will put 'friedship' to the test. If you still feel you want it-go for it; they are fun (AND high maintenance)
Got to love those Italian women..........Ed K:cool:
WOOPS, my mistake - your SELLING not buying, but most of what I said still holds true...sorry...Ed K:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
702 Posts
IMHO an '82 with 70,000 miles is worth about $4500-$5500 in good to very good condition. The paint on this car obviously is not in great shape. The transmission needs work so you can deduct $1,000 off the top for that alone. Yes, I know you can do it cheaper if you do it yourself, swap for a less worn one, blah, blah, blah. Moot point. The transmission is bad and needs to be fixed. You mentioned "some rust." That could mean anything. A rust free car is worth about what I mentioned. Rust repairs can be expensive depending on how extensive it is. A spare tire well alone is $220. Add that again for the guy to weld it in place and that again just to have that small area painted. Get the price for every sheet metal part that reeds to be repaired or replace and apply that rule for each. Even with "some rust" I'm guessing you are looking at at least $1,500 in repairs. You didn't mention the condition of the brakes, suspension or rear end. A suspension rebuild will be at least $1,100. I could go on; however, lets assume that all that is wrong with this 70,000 mile car is what you mentioned. $5,500 - $1,000 (transmission) = $4500. $4,500 - $1500 (rust repairs) = $3,000. $3,000 and we haven't even talked about the paint yet.

Some may argue that a pristine '82 would be worth more than $5,500. That may be, but to bring this car to pristine status is going to cost a lot more than the car would be worth at $8,500 or $11,500 for that matter. A "factory" paint job will run you at least $4,000 even if you do the prep yourself. That being said, there is a sucker born every minute, so ask $4,000 and let some other poor slob spend his or her hard earned money restoring or maintaining the car. Then again, there are those out there where money is not a factor and would gladly put more money into it than it would ever be worth. God knows I've done that on occasion.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Then again, there are those out there where money is not a factor and would gladly put more money into it than it would ever be worth. God knows I've done that on occasion.

Good luck.
So have I, four times over with Alfettas!!

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
IMHO an '82 with 70,000 miles is worth about $4500-$5500 in good to very good condition. The paint on this car obviously is not in great shape. The transmission needs work so you can deduct $1,000 off the top for that alone. Yes, I know you can do it cheaper if you do it yourself, swap for a less worn one, blah, blah, blah. Moot point. The transmission is bad and needs to be fixed. You mentioned "some rust." That could mean anything. A rust free car is worth about what I mentioned. Rust repairs can be expensive depending on how extensive it is. A spare tire well alone is $220. Add that again for the guy to weld it in place and that again just to have that small area painted. Get the price for every sheet metal part that reeds to be repaired or replace and apply that rule for each. Even with "some rust" I'm guessing you are looking at at least $1,500 in repairs. You didn't mention the condition of the brakes, suspension or rear end. A suspension rebuild will be at least $1,100. I could go on; however, lets assume that all that is wrong with this 70,000 mile car is what you mentioned. $5,500 - $1,000 (transmission) = $4500. $4,500 - $1500 (rust repairs) = $3,000. $3,000 and we haven't even talked about the paint yet.
All this is obviously not good news to me. Ok, we left off at the paint which I'd say that 5 grand is going to get me a decent job. Other incidentials that we've forgotten I'll generiously minimize at a thousand bucks.

The math

$3,000
-5,000 Paint
-1,000 Incidentials
______
$3,000 MINUS:eek:

Get the car to me with $3,000 in hundreds stuffed in the glove box and consider it a done deal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts