Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster...long time listener.

I've got a curious electrical problem.

The heater fan does not work, and may be seized up (light in the switch for the fan goes on, but fan doesn't spin...I've spun it manually with a pencil, but no go...).

That isn't the curious part...

While driving, it seems at random, the tachometer and radio will, together stop working. There's enough juice getting to the radio (low end tape and radio) to keep the display glowing, but not to power the receiver.

Now here's the wierd part. If I switch on the fan...it still doesn't run, but it brings my tach and radio back to life (like a reset buttion).

I figure there's a short at the fan, but wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this rather quirky problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I get her out of storage in a couple of weeks and that's one of the first things I'll check. I don't relish pulling out the heater fan.

cheers,

woody

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks jamieandthemagi. Jim and I actually talked about this problem last year. I tested all that he suggested and the fan still won't run...looks like I'll have to pull it.

I didn't get around to checking the grounds before I put her away in October. Yeah, in Ottawa we don't have a huge open touring season.

Thanks for your advice though. I'll be back often asking for help as I restore her.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
If you do have to pull the heater box appart (***** of a job) it might be worth while replaceing the engine to valve hose & heater valve whilst your there. Neither items cost a lot & worth doing whilst your in there.

Good luck, I gave up after 2 days & let my local Alfa techy do the job for me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again.

I'm going to have my mech work on the synchros (2nd is sticky and Reverse pops out of gear). I'll get a costing on the heater box as well.

The electrical problem bugs me more than the nonfunctional fan...but if I can get them both fixed at the same time...

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts