Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 653 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Alfa Fans,

So I heard of this other BB and I thought I would participate here as well since they are many other models besides the GTV6. I also had a spyder and I hope to get one again if I am blessed.

I have started my restoration project since Sept 2006. Since then I have had alot of fun doing this as my hobby. We have stripped the interior, body paint, and removed the engine so far for the paint.

Rather than repeat everything that I have posted on the Alfagtv6.com site the above is a recap. You can see the actual progress and issues there. I am just going to post the pictures of the progress.:)

The pictures here are the Car after we stripped it down. My associate did not have a chance to take pictures before we started. I am the original owner and the car ran well before we started this project

Alfa Front Driver Side #1 Restore.JPG

Alfa Back Passanger Side Restore.JPG

Alfa 1.JPG

Alfa Interior Restore.JPG

Alfa Interior Restore #2.JPG

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
82 Alfa GTV6 Restoration Project

Here are the pictures of removing the engine and other parts.

Alfa Engine #1.JPG

Alfa Engine #2.JPG

Alfa Drive Shaft & Guibo Bolts & Dion Bolts.JPG

Alfa Engine Compartment #2.JPG

Engine ready to be removed #1.JPG

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alfa GTV6 Restoration

We were going to Sand blast the car but the person who does this work did not want to guarantee so we decided to sand the car to metal instead. Here are pictures of the car prepared for priming. We needed to use a little filler due to body dings, etc for the last 24 years of use.
Alfa Body Passanger Side #1.JPG

Alfa Body Passanger Door #2.JPG

Alfa Body Passanger Side #3.JPG

Alfa Body Passanger Roof #4.JPG

Alfa Front Restore #1.JPG

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alfa GTV6 Restoration

Once we completed the preparation work we primed the car. Here are some more pictures of the car ready to be painted along with my zender kit.
Zender Kit Primed.JPG

Alfa Body Primed Fnt Driver.JPG

Alfa Body Primed Fnt Passanger Side #2.JPG

Alfa Body Rear Driver Side #4.JPG

Alfa Body Hood primed #12.JPG

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alfa GTV6 Restoration

Since we sanded the car to metal I took at out the seams of the car as well. We did not fill the seams but rather welded them over and sanded them down. Here is some pictures of this.
Alfa Body Hatchback Primed #11.JPG

Alfa body Driver Side Rear Seam removed #10.JPG

Alfa Body Passanger ream seam removed #9.JPG

Alfa Body Driver Side Seam Removed #5.JPG

Alfa Body Front Primed #13.JPG

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alfa GTV6 Restore

So this is were my Alfa Project is as of today. The car is going to be painted next week and I am now working on the mechanicals in terms of our game plan for updates to engine, suspension, and transaxle. We have purchased a 3.0L 32V from Jungle Justice so far. I am waiting for pictures of the new engine and I will post them when I get it. I am sending out the radiator to be cleaned and flushed. We will then paint this. I am also sending out the starter to be serviced as well.

Thanks for looking at my restoration project.:)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Looks great! What color are you going with? Did you have any rust issues to fix?

·
Registered
776 Posts
SamW said:
Looks great! What color are you going with? Did you have any rust issues to fix?
+1

I'll be following closely. Great work!

Tell us more about the JJ engine...

What other mech mods will you do? Brakes? LSD from a Platinum perhaps?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SamW said:
Hi SamW,

Thanks for the interest. We are going to change the color from black to metallic red. We are not going with an original Alfa or Ferrari Red. The red we will be using is not as bright so the car will be a little subdued. We were lucky and for a 24 year old car it did not have a lot of rust.:) Just some on the lower windshield area and behind the front tires. If the car was really rusted we were not going to restore it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
DaveH said:
+1

I'll be following closely. Great work!

Tell us more about the JJ engine...

What other mech mods will you do? Brakes? LSD from a Platinum perhaps?
Hi DaveH,
We just purchased the low end glenwood engine for now. It should have 270 hp or maybe a little more if Jungle Justice does his magic. The engine came from a 164LS: We will put original OEM GTA cams in the car from a European/South African 147 GTA. The engine has a virtually brand new timing belt and timing belt tensioner on it. We will reset the timing and belt tension properly and inspect everything again!

We will install the proper oval-port headers to fit that engine in the GTV6these are mild steel but the correct size to make power! They are ceramic coated by Performance Coatings in Auburn using a 2000 degree thermal heat-barrier to help keep the heat from the exhaust gasses inside the headers, (effectively increasing gas velocity) and keeping engine-bay and induction temperatures down - top notch stuff! Helps protect them from rusting too and it looks REAL nice!

We will convert the intake plenum - welding an expanded box to the side (adding more volume), closing off the old location of the throttle-body and relocating the t-body to the center rear of the 164 plenum. The plenum is then also coated in that same ceramic coating as the headers and the 24v V6 script block-sanded down for a very nice custom finish!

The engine gets a flywheel bolted to it from a 3.0 Milano Verde for the correct balance-factor and so that we have the 3 protruding bolts on the back of it to bolt the transaxle driveshaft to.

Next, we remove the sump and install a sump from a Milano on the 164 block. We have some "relieving" to do in a few places and a couple of holes to drill to make sure that it fits the 24 valve block correctly and seals properly. Before installing it though, we inspect the oil pump, clean it out and modify the 24 valver's pick-up points to match the sump-pattern of the Milano sump.

Next stop; the thermostat housing. Pretty much remove and install a GTV6 configuration with some minor modification to get it all correct.

We have to do some other minor things to the fuel rails and we should have the injectors cleaned and flowed.

We are going to use the Gotech Pro and trash the stock ECU and harness. I researched the megasquirt and that system looks good as well. I just don't think my skills are up to par to create this magic box. However, my decision is based on my skills and not saying that Gotech Pro is better than megasquirt. I do like the idea of getting rid of the AFM since this looks very constrictive.

Finally, we are going to have custom pipes from the headers to the rear. I will run 3 inch pipes from the front to the back.

The above is basically what we are going. I would not have been able to do the above items without the help of Jungle Justice and I am very happy that he emailed me with HP ideas. I was thinking of going with Greg's supercharger since it was a more reasonable deal to the similar results. However, I think the reason why we did not go this route is that we always went the bigger displacement. 340 to 426 Hemi. 383 to 440. 302 to 427. We understand this. It does't mean that on the next engine HP upgrade we won't consider Greg's Supercharger. However, it doesn't matter anyway since Greg does not have a 24V kit yet.

I am still deciding to the suspension, brakes, & transaxle. What have others done?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Wow..metallic red? Sounds like a color that is too recent for an Alfetta/GTV6...but I guess when we see the pictures. <grin>

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Bjwhite,

Just curious, what do you mean that a color is too recent?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alfa GTV6 Retore

Hello Everyone,

Hope we all had a good weekend. Did not have time to work on my Alfa except for deciding how I was going to restore it. I did buy the 3.0L 24V engine from Jungle Justice on a impulse. After all, I was really going to restore my whole car showroom stock for original condition. As you can see I am old school and my associate has restored most of his cars stock. I was starting to get cold feet when I thought that I was off path. However, after driving much more powerful cars I thought why cann't my Alfa perform like that??:confused:

Then I thought, ok, I need to buy new parts anyway so why not buy the custom stuff. The cost is around the same but the performance parts seem to have more advantage. My associate said if I change the engine the car will definately not be original and no one will want it if I decide to sell it. Of course, I don't want to sell it but he did have a point. So my solution is to set up a display with the old engine ready to go back in. The engine will be in perfect condition so I will have the original engine with matching #'s just in case. :) Since it is a hobby, I do the work myself so it just time spent playing. OK, then he said, once you put the 3.0L 24V in your car you will make your car frame not original.:( The modification will change the motor mounts, etc. This was the hard part since I knew when we swapped the 340 to a 426 Hemi we need to make new motor mounts, header, etc and this was welded. Therefore, very very hard to change back to original.:eek:

However, the 3.0L 24V engine fits perfectly into the GTV6 without any welding, etc. :p The main modifications are to the engine which is not the original engine anyway. So I am Ok. My goal is to still restore my Alfa to original condition as possible but have it perform better. For me, my Alfa is a great car and I am just wanting to improve the performance while keeping the charactor of the car. Therefore, I think that this change will be a great improvement to my Alfa and still keep it original. If I want to change it back to stock original I can. I really don't see why I would do that. But I am going to cover all my bases just in case.

My engine in being prepared as well speak and I cann't wait to see it. In the meantime, I am positing a picture of my new engine from the original 164LS that it is coming from.

Have a great day everyone:)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alfa GTV6 Restore

Sorry no picture of my new engine. The file is too large and the computer won't let me do this. :(

·
Registered
776 Posts
Don't worry about the 3.0 making the car non-originale. This engine change might be an issue for some Alfas (101s, 105s,...), but in the GTV6 world, no. (IMO). I have seen GTV6s advertised with 3.0 upgrades for quite a lot of money. As long as its done right, you'll be fine.

If a GTV6 paint job looked too modern, that may hit the value. I wouldn't be interested in a red GTV6 that was too metallic looking. Now a slightly off red is fine. Again, just IMO.

It looks like you have the means and knowledge to do what needs to be done. My only reservation would be tuning an ideal GoTech map. I'm sure JJ can get you a good 'starter' map. Then you have to get the laptop out and maybe pay for some dyno time.

Just don't forget that LSD...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi cchan,
I think that most Alfa enthusiasts just want to make sure that the Alfa keeps its alfa roots and soul. So putting a 3.0L from another Alfa is within that realm. In addition the 3.0L and and the 2.5L are the same block with just a diffrent internals. My GTV6 has the 3.0L out of a Milano and I am very happy with it. After buying my GTV6 I can't imagine not owning it. I think you will be very pleased with the car.
Bob

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DaveH said:
Don't worry about the 3.0 making the car non-originale. This engine change might be an issue for some Alfas (101s, 105s,...), but in the GTV6 world, no. (IMO). I have seen GTV6s advertised with 3.0 upgrades for quite a lot of money. As long as its done right, you'll be fine.

If a GTV6 paint job looked too modern, that may hit the value. I wouldn't be interested in a red GTV6 that was too metallic looking. Now a slightly off red is fine. Again, just IMO.

It looks like you have the means and knowledge to do what needs to be done. My only reservation would be tuning an ideal GoTech map. I'm sure JJ can get you a good 'starter' map. Then you have to get the laptop out and maybe pay for some dyno time.

Just don't forget that LSD...
I was originally going to go with a lot of metal flake but now it's going to be very mild. My associates boat had a lot of flake and some show cars I saw had a lot of flake too. I really thought this look was cool. However, when I first picked this type of paint my associate did not say much but was grinning ( I can tell). So he suggested another red with very very small flakes. After we decided on the color. He told me the my original idea could be considered tacky.:rolleyes:

I am saving my money for a new transaxle,synchos, LSD, 4.10 to 1, etc. It is suppose to be very tricked out and we hope this will solve the transmission issue. For the tune, I am reasearching a dyno tune shop now so I can really see what the RWP will be for a bench mark. :eek:

I hope to post some more pictures when I can figure out how to make them smaller. Any clues on how to do this. I can have my IT guy look at this but he is not here today.

See Ya.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bobsiopener said:
Hi cchan,
I think that most Alfa enthusiasts just want to make sure that the Alfa keeps its alfa roots and soul. So putting a 3.0L from another Alfa is within that realm. In addition the 3.0L and and the 2.5L are the same block with just a diffrent internals. My GTV6 has the 3.0L out of a Milano and I am very happy with it. After buying my GTV6 I can't imagine not owning it. I think you will be very pleased with the car.
Bob
I am glad the 3.0l is still in the mainstream. I would hate to think that after all the effort to do this swap that Alfa enthusiasts would think that I butchered my Alfa.:(

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Chuck -this is going to be one FANTASTIC car! (Told you the guys would love the 3.0 24 valve idea...) Don't forget the 44mm GTA intake runners and the fact that this motor only has 17K miles on it!

What? No word about the RSRacing suspension, the Group 2/GiroDisc brakes? 4-pot Wilwood Ultralights etc etc! Common Chuck!:D :D :D Coil-overs etc!

That 4.10:1 LSD is going to be awesome! Everything lightend, Milano style shifter setup, 50% lockup, balanced mild-street/track race clutch - not too grabby.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi JVR,

Well, ah, ah, I am new to the club. Didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea about me.:) . Yeah, it true, your going help me to do these other modifications.

Thanks for the email on showing me how to make my pictures smaller. I will post the first engine picture today. We have finished the priming of the car and the Zender Kit has been installed. We are molding this into the car now to complete the final preparation of the body. Cann't wait to get it the body done. Almost a 1/4 of the way done on the restore project. . :)

1 - 20 of 653 Posts