Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions. I have acquired this 81 Spider. I cannot keep it, but will at least reassemble and paint it. Original colour is white. My friends say Blah. Well, red is red, there is so many they say! My driver is silver, and there is 3 of those already in town. What do you paint a car you would sell? It is all in primer except the moving panels, and just a shell.

Suggestions, for my dilemma?

Bizjet Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well, I'm partial to red, and you really can't go wrong painting anything Italian red...

If the car was originally white, that's probably OK too, but you're right- kinda bland for a sports car...

I would search online for 1981 Alfa Spider pics and see what grabs you.

I discovered this, but I'm not sure if this is the gospel truth...

1981 Alfa Romeo All Models Colors of Touch Up Paint

I saw some old Spiders online in bright yellow that looked cool- not a factory color, but probably appealing to a modern buyer.

Since you are doing the work, pick something that will inspire you while you're working on the car. It will make the project go a lot easier.

Oh- whatever you do- don't do a two tone! Absolutely hideous on any Alfa Spider!

BTW- based on that pic, she looks pretty straight. I hope the rest of the car looks as good.

Who knows, maybe you'll want to keep her in the end!

Good luck! :smile2:

-Ray

Alfa Rosso 1987 Spider Veloce!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the link Ray..

I did some googling. Yes, yellow looks pretty flashy. Hmmmm

British Racing Green?
Burnt Orange?

Some ideas from the friends.

Dark Metallic grey. wonder how that would look.

Ughhh

Good thing is we do have the red as the number one standby.

Scott

·
Registered
155 Posts
I forgot to mention that coordinating with the interior color is something to consider too (I'm sure this is not news to you...)

I know most Spiders have black or tan interiors, and either go with just about anything, but there were other colors in earlier years, so I'm just throwing it out there.

Just make sure you don't paint a blue interior car green on the outside! :surprise:

Actually- as far as BR Green goes, I think I would only go with a tan interior- it just looks right. Also- champagne was a factory color in the late 80s, something that also looks good with a tan interior. A friend of mine has one and although it's not my cup of Chianti, she gets a lot of compliments.

As far as yellow- a black interior really makes the paint pop.

My personal favorites are red, then black- but I'm kind of single-minded about some things- but that yellow does sound good, doesn't it? :wink2:

Again- good luck! :smile2:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Why paint it at all, if you're going to sell? As a buyer, I'm generally not thrilled with a car that still smells of fresh paint, as I don't know what it's hiding.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why paint it at all, if you're going to sell? As a buyer, I'm generally not thrilled with a car that still smells of fresh paint, as I don't know what it's hiding.
Well then, For sale 1981 Spider Project with spica. Currently diassembled, metal repairs completed, in primer, parts are clean and wrapped, All complete. Delivery in the Northwest available. $3500. Solve my dilemma.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I actually second the "why paint it".

That said, someone did mine in a metallic anthracite grey, or at least that is what I think it is called. Doubt it is a factory color, but looks great (IMHO) with the tan interior. A silvery mid-grey would look great too I think. Original was racing green, which is pretty cool too.

White can be sexy, but you'd have to add a lot of contrast and I am not sure that is reasonable with all the chrome.

I love red too, but it is a touch overdone. That said, it is what the people expect so....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
My brother bought a 1965 giulia spider veloce in 1968. It was light grey (almost a white; not the dark grey of the earlier cars) with burgundy seats - gorgeous! I have not seen one in this color scheme since.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well, if you're talking about painting it to resell it quickly, there's a ton of research out there that i am entirely too lazy to quote (you'll have to take my word for it)..that RED sells faster and for more than any other color.

Folks might have a preference for themselves, but if it's resale, as they say, red opens wallets the most

Curiously, some think that fresh paint gives the impression of hiding something..but a good eye can spot good body work or a quick cover up. To me, a body in white looks incomplete. Good body work includes a good paint job, I'd wonder why the PO went thru the problem of all that body work and then stop before paint.

·
Registered
108 Posts
AkioOhtori

Any outside pics, and full body? I do like a dark grey. I was stuck on it for awhile on GTV.

S
Not as many as I should! Hmm... I'll have to fix this problem later...

Please excuse the wheels, they were on it when I bought the car and I have since fixed the problem haha.

And as grazie says, there is a reason they call it "resale red"

Attachments

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I've repainted my Spider three times in the 36 years I've had it and never felt compelled to change it to red or black. The tail lights are already red and the interior and top are already black :)

I agree though, if you are going to sell it, let the new owner decide what color to paint it.

Reactions: AkioOhtori

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess I just like Alfa's. Many colours look real presentable on the spider. But, if in fact there is a reality to "resale red".

I know Alfa heritage is red, but we are talking an 81 spider. The interior for this car is black. So that should exclude, a deep blue I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Colorful Spider

Well, if you guys are voting, I'm going back to what I said originally- pick a color that inspires you to make the job more pleasant. If you're still conflicted...

Then...

Considering the black interior....

1. Yellow (I don't know why I like it so much- but it looks great in photos I've seen especially with a black interior, it will be unique, and it seems to have become a traditional color for Italian sports cars.)

2. Red (Never a bad choice for Italian, or any other sports car. Although prone to fading, red seems to hide dirt and minor imperfections very well)

3. Black (But that body better be STRAIGHT! Few things look better than a shiny black car. Few things look worse than a black car that's not clean or with imperfect bodywork)

4. White, Cream, Champagne, Green, Silver, Orange, Gray, Purple, Chartreuse, etc (I guess you can tell I don't like these!)

With a black interior- just don't paint it brown... yech! :surprise:

Happy to be of assistance!!!! >:)

-Ray

Here's a yellow one for ya...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.