Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, as you may have guessed I've got an '81. By all accounts these seem to be the redheaded step children of the brood(and yes, it's got the monofarfalla intake), but regardless of that fact, I like it. I've also read that the '74's seem to be about the best of the bunch.

Anyway, I'm curious how the performance of an '81 with all the emissions equipment removed (EGR, air pump, et al) and a header added to the mix would compare to say, a '74. Supposedly the spica system in the '81 is not setup quite as nicely as the '74's, but so goes life.

Thanks for satisfying my curiousity.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,401 Posts
I had an '81 Spider as my first Alfa, and it was actually a *really* nice car!

By the time I got it, all of the smog equipment was long gone but it still had the original Spica. Once I replaced the Spica pump with a rebuild and got it tuned correctly, it ran well. It would rev freely up to 6,500, and never felt slow, but wasn't "fast" either.

The '81s have the later 4:10 differential, which makes for lower cruising revs but somewhat lessened acceleration. Most of them also had more luxo-stuff than a '74 would (leather, power mirrors, power windows, etc.) and it all adds weight.

So, they can be made to perform well, and can certainly put a smile on your face. But, the reality is they are better cruisers than track sluts.

Joe

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have an '80 that has (had) the same issues as the 81. The most affordable and easiest upgrade is to replace the injecton system with an earlier model (IMHO). Mine came from a crunched '75 Alfetta, and I replaced the whole system including the pump, but just the manifold/bodies will help. Not only will you get a little better performance, everything on the intake side of the engine is easier to access and maintain too, and you can set the idle with just a screwdriver!

Cheers!
Dave G.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts