Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys directed here by those who know from the Grassroots Motorsports forums.

This is my 81 GTV6, non sunroof, pretty decent body considering it was found in Ohio.

As brought home a while ago

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Started to get the shell prepped.

The worst of the rust

I can use a tip on removing these trim retaining clips

The labor continues

Plan is for a rolling resto, she has sat for 6 years to date, so even though the timing belt was new then it needs replacement. hoses, clutch freshen and new ball pivot.

Looking for a stock resto but an LSD and suspension upgrades could be included.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Decent body - especially for Ohio!

The rocker "clips" come out by rotating them 45° and then pulling them out.

Glad that another one is on her way back to the road!

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Car looks pretty straight...like the front fender/door/sill gap.

If you do the body in a "big" way you ought to consider welding up those sidemarker holes. They're obnoxious.

Good luck on your project.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Interesting ...

About to tackle my 86 so this will be interesting to follow. Do keep the pics coming.:eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A couple of questions for those who know

What is the color code on the 81 GTV6?

Is there a recommended way to restore the plastic exterior trim?

What is the best place to get screws, clips etc?

What is the best place for rubber window, trunk and door molds?

More pics on progress due in the next couple of days

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I can use a tip on removing these trim retaining clips
Clips are the same as the one's used to retain the bumper gap covers. Note the square hole. The backside of the clip is square as well, canted 45° as mentioned. Grab it with std pliers set wide and turn counter-clockwise, pull out.

Interesting how this car has no sunroof, but rust-through in area behind front wheels (where front sunroof drains usually go)? Check rear hatch bottom edge too. Rear hatch window drains can be a problem as well.

Trim pieces like clips can be found NOS (eBAY Motors), but windshield, hatch window rubber surrounds (if destroyed removing) and other trim pieces can be a PITA to find. I'd try APE, & the Parts Forum. I did purchase door frame surround seals new from IAP. The one's on the doors themselves are NLA.

Nice find. You should get a lot of enjoyment putting her back into service.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update, stopped the painter when he started fiberglassing the body rust, have found a local body guy who wants to do this and is enthusiastic.

Hope this delay goes by quickly, but he is a pro at least

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Pretty crazy how, once you start stripping-down a GTV6, you start seeing the Alfetta GT! Never did like those side mouldings on the crease line. Kills the lines of the car IMO. Sometimes I feel like losing the side skirt mouldings on my '84.

The PO changed the color from AR545 OPALE (very dk red met) to AR547 ROSSO AMARILLIS (brighter red met). As you might know the '84's were painted grey from the centerline-down. I'm glad he painted over that. I prefer one color.

One thing about the GTV6 though, if you strip her down too much in the nose, she is not nearly as pretty (pure), as the Alfetta. ...V6 makes-up for that ;)

·
Registered
298 Posts
81 build thread

subscribing to thread. working on my 84, getting ready for paint shop.

George

1 - 10 of 10 Posts