Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I need help. Last week my Alfa lost power pretty suddenly. Now I hear a gulping type of sound coming from the enginw compartment. Narrowed it down to (see attachment). Can't find this part described in any of my manuals. Can anyone tell me what it is and it's function? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Are you sure that you did not take a picture of the engine of a 1975 Citroen DS or some such thing???
Actually I know you took a picture of your Alfa.
I'm just pulling your leg. An Alfa valve cover will not fit on the top of a Citroen DS engine. (Well it will fit but it will leak oil worse then a regular Alfa engine.) (You could use plastic Ty-wrapes,)

Normally the A/C compressor is located in this area so you may have a one of a kind there. Looks like some kind of a vacuum pump or air pump to me..
There were a couple of crazy things that Alfa did to try to pass US EPA Gods back in the (G)olden days.

I know that someone here will have seen this before and set you on the path to the good life..

But, that's way you should never buy an Alfa newer then a 1974 vintage.

Ask the poor guys that live in California. (I'm sorry girls, I really do include you when I ever say "guys".. It's just that I'm still "old school. And I forget that it's a different world today. )..:)

Reactions: Ernieray

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@samakijoe, lol funny. I do believe you are correct. It looks like a vaccum pump. Also when I obstructed the input, the gulping sound vanished. Would this affect the power of the vehicle if it failed? Also, the Alfa is inherited from grandfather in-law. One owner. Trying to keep it alive for the family.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Air pump. Belt driven. Pumps air into small ports at exhaust manifold, and along with the catalytic converter downstream, it helps to reduce emissions at tailpipe.

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
@samakijoe, lol funny. I do believe you are correct. It looks like a vaccum pump. Also when I obstructed the input, the gulping sound vanished. Would this affect the power of the vehicle if it failed? Also, the Alfa is inherited from grandfather in-law. One owner. Trying to keep it alive for the family.
It would likely improve your performance if you remove the belt. But I assume you'd also need to plug the holes in the manifold.

Of course if you live in Cali you'll need to have it in working order...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yes, it is an air pump driven by a belt. If the pump is starting to seize, it could cause an increased draw on the engine; hence the power loss. I would remove the belt and then test drive to see if the lost power returns, and the gulping noise is gone. Years ago, most people would remove the entire system and seal the holes in the exhaust manifold with threaded brass plugs. I'm sure that I still have some of these smog pumps and ancillary parts in boxes somewhere.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Please tell us that you do not live in that area on the west coast of North America with boarders that touch Old Mexico and the rest of the USA...:cry:

Reactions: Ernieray

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
I have removed those before and plugged the exhaust connections. Maybe your filter fell off and that is why you here gulping air. Go for it if you do not need it for inspections

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
562 Posts
On the other hand, Ernieray, you could keep the belt, reinstall the factory air filter, maybe even verify that your car's emissions system is complete and functioning. You might chose go so far as to pass a smog inspection.

There's something to be said for not being a gross polluter. Even with performance modifications, these Spiders are not 'fast' cars by modern standards. It's your car, and your car's smog.

I lived in LA when you couldn't see the mountains just 2 miles away.

David OD
Laguna CA

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Ernie ray,
I see alot of comments but not much help. That is the smog pump required on all California spiders after 1975 up until the Bosch fuel injection was fitted and maybe even later than that. The only way it could cause a problem or loss of power is if it was seizing. If that were the case you would not hear a gulping sound you would hear a loud squeal and the belt attached to it would be very hot.
As somebody mentioned there is supposed to be a pipe and an air filter on the intake side of it; that is the hole at the bottom left in your picture. The original filters are hard to find. I went to a local Pep Boys and found an aftermarket valve cover filter and a piece of rubber pipe from a honda civic that was the correct size and made one from that. It has passed smog several times since then.
I have run my stock Alfa both with and without it. The gains, if any, in horsepower without it are negligible. On a dyno we showed only a 2 horsepower gain on a stock engine, not enough to make any difference in the performance of the car.
If you live in California in a metro area that pump is required and you won't pass smog without it.
I think you are going to need to look elsewhere for your loss of power.
Ventura Alfa

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please tell us that you do not live in that area on the west coast of North America with boarders that touch Old Mexico and the rest of the USA...:cry:
Unfortunately, I must say yes. I love the state, but hate the state it is in....if you can understand that.
Hi Ernie ray,
I see alot of comments but not much help. That is the smog pump required on all California spiders after 1975 up until the Bosch fuel injection was fitted and maybe even later than that. The only way it could cause a problem or loss of power is if it was seizing. If that were the case you would not hear a gulping sound you would hear a loud squeal and the belt attached to it would be very hot.
As somebody mentioned there is supposed to be a pipe and an air filter on the intake side of it; that is the hole at the bottom left in your picture. The original filters are hard to find. I went to a local Pep Boys and found an aftermarket valve cover filter and a piece of rubber pipe from a honda civic that was the correct size and made one from that. It has passed smog several times since then.
I have run my stock Alfa both with and without it. The gains, if any, in horsepower without it are negligible. On a dyno we showed only a 2 horsepower gain on a stock engine, not enough to make any difference in the performance of the car.
If you live in California in a metro area that pump is required and you won't pass smog without it.
I think you are going to need to look elsewhere for your loss of power.
Ventura Alfa
Thank you. I was hoping that the loss of power had to do with evap, and the pump was part of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts