Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turn indicator on my new '79 Spider stays on all the time, even with the key off.
I also notice that if I turn the wheel to the left the stalk moves down and turns on the left signal.
So I'm pretty sure the switch needs a bit of work.
Switch causing the lamp to stay on?
Need to know as it drains the battery.
Switch rebuildable?
Interchange with a '73 switch?

Heater, wipers, and fuel gauge are next.

But the radio works great so the PO clearly had his priorities in order. :001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Culprit turned out to be a bad or incorrect flasher can.
Looked new, swapped in the old dented can from the '78 and it's all good now.

So onward to the gauges!

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I did two things with respect to the turn signals - repair the stalk switch return and convert to LED bulbs, which required an LED flasher change.

First, the signal stalk returns to center by dragging a spring against the steering wheel shaft, and that tugs the stalk left or right back to the center detent position. On my 1976 Spider, that spring was worn right through and resembled a bad hair day... After searching for a replacement spring with no luck, I finally found that those cloth-covered elastic hair bands my wife uses in her ponytail work perfectly (and they really ar not that hard to change, if needed). Just loop one a couple of times between the spring attachment points...

I changed the signal/run lights to LED's, mainly because the old light assemblies are getting fragile with age, and I don't wish open them up to change bulbs any more often than I absolutely have to. LED's SHOULD last a very long time... Ditto the dash lights - although dimming LED's is an issue.

The key thing about the flasher used is that it has an indicator connection for the little double arrow indicator between the speedometer and tachometer. Finding an LED rated flasher (NOTE: LED bulbs draw so little current that a regular current-flow-heated flasher just won't flash!) with an indicator was the key - I used a CF13 JL-02 three pin LED rated flasher, and replaced the bulb in the indicator with just an LED (Since the provided current draw for the flasher is so very low!). Works great!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts