Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In California, I am converting my Spider to an electric vehicle so I no longer need any of the fuel parts, engine, radiator, & exhaust system. If you'd like any used parts associated with these systems, let me know. Will take most offers.
Also, I am looking for a trunk release lever or whatever you want to call it as found behind the drivers seat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
79 Spider part out

I am looking for the in-tank fuel pump, and all of the hardware, and electrical components associated with it. I have a 78 spider with spica, and the previous owner did not take advantage of the recall to install the in tank fuel pump. Email me if you have these parts: [email protected]. Thanks

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Sounds like a nice project. I hope you take some pics as your doing the conversion. Oh, can I ask why a spider as your starting point. I would imagine the battery bank will be pretty substantial/heavy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alfa Electric

Aldo, I will insert 18 or 20 6 volt golf cart batteries. The batteries will weigh between 1200 & 1350 lbs. The car will probably gain between 400 to 800 lbs. I am taking my time at removing the engine and other parts, keeping a journal, but not too many pics. I will take more pics as I start to add the various compents: engine, controller, batteries, pop box, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
In California, I am converting my Spider to an electric vehicle so I no longer need any of the fuel parts, engine, radiator, & exhaust system. If you'd like any used parts associated with these systems, let me know. Will take most offers.
pardon the rather noob questions:
1. what motor do you have in your Spider?
2. how many miles on the motor?
3. what is the condition of the motor?
4. are you keeping the trannie or bolting in something that will match your electro motor?
5. can you post pics of your conversion, and the process undertaken?

much thanks in advance...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an 86 Spider in my basement that I've been thinking of converting to electric. I would be very interested in seeing the progress on your project. Good luck and keep us all posted. An electric conversion thread would be very interesting... If gas prices continue on the uprise electric conversion may become a tech forum on the BB :( Just out of curiosity, are you shooting for distance or performance from your conversion?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
parting out 79 Alfa Spider

Criler,
I am within 3 hours of SF.

JC,
I believe the engine is a 4 cylinder. I obtained the Alfa strictly for converting it because it is a beautiful vehicle and it would not pass smog for my friend. He drove it to my house but it got pretty hot and was smoking for about 10 minutes after. It was losing oil. I'm close to pulling the engine, i.e. within the next 7 days, after which you can have it. I believe it has less than 100,000 miles on it but I'm not sure. I will let you know tomorrow. I am saving all nuts, bolts, etc. for those who might want the parts. I am keeping the transmission and clutch for the electric motor which will be attached with an adapter plate. I am documenting the removal of parts but not a lot of pics. I will take more pics when it is time to start adding to the vehicle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mark & Aldo

I expect to get a range between 60 to 70 miles and expect to go about 70 miles per hour.

Most people travel less than 30 a day. Unfortunately, I travel approx. 50 miles per day but this vehicle will be adequate and classy.

Yes, the rear diff and trans. will stay on the vehicle.

Batteries will be in the trunk and in the front and possibly behind the seat.
I found two websites by people who have converted Spiders.
It has been a long time since I've seen them but if I find them again I will post the links.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spica

Yes, I have all parts from the vehicle and am happy to sell them to you.
The vehicle has only 82,000 miles on it. Manual says the engine is a 4 cylinder in line with bore and stroke 84 x 88.5 mm and total displacement of 1962 cc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Electric Motor

In replacing the the ICE, I will use Advanced D.C. Motors 8 or 9 inch electric motor. Haven't yet decided which I'll use but leaning towards the 9 inch because the Alfa Spider is a rather heavy vehicle, curb weight of approx. 2450 lbs.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
how much do you want for the spica manifold? i am running l-jet..but i am coverting to lh- jet..not air flap meter, just hot wire..working on a 4 throttle body intake. thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts