Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting my console back together and replacing the slide handle from another and noticed some differences. The one on the left is the one that came with the car and has what looks like a replacement lighter but Unleaded Fuel only sticker on the front.
The one on the right has a lighter that I have had on one of my GT 1300's years ago.
What I am asking is the one on the left correct with the Fuel sticker and did a 79 come with a center hole cigarette lighter or a lighter as us older folks grew up with
I saw a 79 with the sticker on the body near the fuel filler and my 85 has it inside the fill cover.
Joe
ash tray assembly.JPG

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
I can't say for sure, except this '79 on BAT has the one on the left (ie. the one without the brico lighter)
but who knows what has been swopped out over the last decades....many didn't like the Brico lighter, nowadays they are sought after to an extent.

never seen that sticker before on an ashtray (seen them inside gas flaps)
but as both yours and this BAT spider has it, maybe it is original?

79 spider.jpg

79 spider1.jpg

is there a light in either ash tray? (in the area under that unleaded sticker)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, there is a light under both assemblies where the sticker is. Brico is that the name of that style? I can swap that to the sticker assembly or put the brico on in the console. Lets see if anyone else chimes in with information. I might dig around to see if I have another assembly but I don't think I do.
Thank for the reply,
Joe

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
yes, if you search BB for "Brico", you will find lots of posts how it works (or doesn't!) and how to restore them etc

A 1972 spider parts book still shows a brico (105.02.65.035.00) in the ashtray

Others here will know if all S2 spiders had bricos or when the change to normal came about.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I will do that and next to see how to remove it to transfer to the other. I toyed with it this morning and also did not find another in my spare pile. Rain is keeping me in the garage today.
Joe

·
Registered
392 Posts
My '73 had a Brico lighter and no fuel sticker on the console. My '79 came with a regular lighter and a fuel sticker on the console. Don't know what year the change was made.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pictures attached as to is what I came up with in the garage today until I find out more information. Someone must have a operator/owners manual that shows what was correct. I am not restoring the Spider to original specs just using parts in my loft to make things look clean. Spider has been converted to Webers by a previous owner.
I would like a picture of the backside of the lighter to see if I can make a clamp that I believe is missing if someone can get me one.
Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
I would like a picture of the backside of the lighter to see if I can make a clamp that I believe is missing if someone can get me one.
Joe
you are missing the actual drop in ash tray that gets clamped lightly by those 4 square tangs (which have a little dimple)
lots of photos here
Ash Tray Light

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had pulled the ash trays to clean them. I will try to make a small clamp this weekend. Thank you to all for ideas and what you have found. I am going to replace the black leather behind the ALFA logo on my now spare assembly and put together what is left. The leather has burn marks on it. One of the lamps say 3W and the other reads 5W I am going to leave power disconnected to it and the lighter. The lighter has a cracked inner part which may be ceramic.
Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts