Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on how to clean the cam covers up. They are porous as everyone knows I am sure and from the looks of them the PO didn't spend much time on the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Any suggestions on how to clean the cam covers up. They are porous as everyone knows I am sure and from the looks of them the PO didn't spend much time on the engine bay.
After a lot of failed effort at cleaning my dirty, porous cover, I eventually just went for the black crinkle paint.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Take a look here:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/shop-talk/203478-polishing-parts.html

There are threads on this forum on how to go about it. I took a short cut and bought one off ebay. I also like the wrinkled black paint effect. Both are cool, as is bone stock clean cover. You gotta love these cars...

·
Registered
89 Posts
After a lot of failed effort at cleaning my dirty, porous cover, I eventually just went for the black crinkle paint.

Good evening, sorry this is a little OT, but does that crinkle paint the same sort of finish as the textures paint on the speedo/rev counter binnacles, as its started to flake off on mine. I've been looking to strip them and redo them in something similar to the original texture.

regards

Jon

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just did my 89 and it came up pretty good. Here's what I would do.
1) clean with as much degreaser as you can.
2) Wet sand with 220 grit paper, moving to 330 grit. The result will be smooth but very dirty gray looking
3) Go to Harbor freight and buy a Aluminum Polishing kit. Comes with buffing wheels and 3 types of clay. Note: secure the cover to the workbench with some wooden blocks and screws through a couple of the top holes. Use the black clay, then the brown clay and it will polish up quite nicely with less work than you would expect. There are a couple youtube videos that should help you get over any fear. Look for valve cover polishing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts