Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Alfetta GT (Sprint Veloce)
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oy, these **** guibos... Getting ready to change out a rear one on our 79, and I came upon the fact that there are actually 3 choices in the rear for the 4 cylinder. I thought it was just early and late, but Bertlesbeck diagram and part numbers around the web say there is an early, mid, and later. According to Berlesbeck, the middle one goes from '77 to May '79, the late after May 79 and our car shows made in 10/78. E.B. Spares says late is from '82 on. I'll try to validate dates.

The middle part# is much more of a a ***** to find. Seems the middle has the aligning bush/bearing in guibo the late just has hole and bush supposed to be on shaft.

Anyone know if a middle (77-79) dated car can go with the later guibo, or must it have the one with the bush? I hate to have to get it out and see the story on the existing shaft before I can order.

·
Registered
591 Posts
As you probably know, the 1980 and later 4 cylinder cars never came to the US.
I currently have a rear donut (don't know the part number) on my 75 Alfetta that does not have the integral bushing. I had to press the bushing out of an old donut and mount it on the driveshaft with some washers underneath the bushing to properly locate the bushing lengthwise on the driveshaft to have the proper engagement with the transaxle input shaft.
(Since I have an early driveshaft on my car, I had to modify the 3 square locating tabs on the driveshaft side of the donut to allow it to mount on my driveshaft. Since you have a late driveshaft, this is not a concern for you.)
This donut has been on my car for more than 10 years.
So if you absolutely can't get a late rear donut with the integral bushing, I think you can get the rear donut that doesn't have the integral bushing to work (but you MUST have the bushing installed one way or the other).

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
EB Spares had the correct one when I needed it a year ago.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Oy, these **** guibos... Getting ready to change out a rear one on our 79, and I came upon the fact that there are actually 3 choices in the rear for the 4 cylinder. I thought it was just early and late, but Bertlesbeck diagram and part numbers around the web say there is an early, mid, and later. According to Berlesbeck, the middle one goes from '77 to May '79, the late after May 79 and our car shows made in 10/78. E.B. Spares says late is from '82 on. I'll try to validate dates.

The middle part# is much more of a a * to find. Seems the middle has the aligning bush/bearing in guibo the late just has hole and bush supposed to be on shaft.

Anyone know if a middle (77-79) dated car can go with the later guibo, or must it have the one with the bush? I hate to have to get it out and see the story on the existing shaft before I can order.

View attachment 1675534
I believe my '79gt is middle one.. But I used the top late model that was sent to me.. (Rear) I am referring to. But what I did was remove the out race of the bearing and it fit perfectly in the inner geeblo..

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts