Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that now I will finally will be able to get the ’79 Alfetta GT back on the road.

First I have to get it running and get it registered, thereafter goes to the paint shop.

Question: The paint shop wants to remove the front and rear glass but first, we need to ensure that I will be able to buy the rubber gasket for the windshield and rear glass.

Do you know where can I source these rubber seals..?

Thank you in advance!
Gilles

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I think IAP and perhaps Centerline may still have those, as well. May depend on if you need the style with the chrome metal insert, or the plain rubber version?

Not cheap as I remember. Maybe $280 per gasket? Hope you can salvage your current ones.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
GTV6 Window Rubber gaskets work as well. They do not have the metal inserts. Many have converted for a clean look(including me), but that is a personal decision.

Does he not think he can remove them without damage, or are they already in poor shape? A good body shop, or Alfa experienced body shop should have no problem removing them without damaging them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm wondering what you have for the rear glass? I have a '78 that has glued-in rear glass. Tried to fit a gasket, but not enough gap between the hatch channel and window edge for it to fit. After a lot of experimenting, I'm going to go back to a glued-in rear glass.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
My 79 was not glued in. I thought 78 and 79 were the same, so that is a surprise for me to hear. The non-glued in were essentially the same as the GTV6 with the exception of the stainless steel insert that fit in a channel. The glued-in were a little bit larger. You could try to source a GTV6 window or 79 window if you wanted the press in seal.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
The "book" says that 78 Alfetta coupes came with a rubber gasketed windshield and hatch. The 78 is also supposed to have the later style side marker light employed on 79 Alfettas and all GTV6s. In my experience many 78 model year Alfetta coupes were built in 77 and came equipped with glue-in glass and the older,recessed style side markers. Another "phantom" 78 change is the switch from 2-speed to 3-speed wipers.
The bottom line on this subject is that both rubber gasket styles are a huge improvement over the glue-in style.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the tips!

According to Highwood's Alfa website, they offer them at a considerably better price than Mr. Fiat.

My car has the metal molding inserts on all the windows, but Iachella has a point and it may look a bit cleaner without the chrome inserts, I would love to see a picture

How it would look with the chromed side windows and the black rubber front and rear..?

I am also planning on replacing the rubber US bumpers with European metal ones, and I have seen pictures of European Alfettas with chrome bumpers, side mirrors and window trim and they look pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Thank you all for the tips!

According to Highwood's Alfa website, they offer them at a considerably better price than Mr. Fiat.

My car has the metal molding inserts on all the windows, but Iachella has a point and it may look a bit cleaner without the chrome inserts, I would love to see a picture

How it would look with the chromed side windows and the black rubber front and rear..?

I am also planning on replacing the rubber US bumpers with European metal ones, and I have seen pictures of European Alfettas with chrome bumpers, side mirrors and window trim and they look pretty cool.

We found it pays to shop around for the rubber stuff. How would it look without the chrome bead? Less '70's, in my opinion. If that's what you want! Personally, I like the Alfetta's character and the '70's details. Very different from the later GTV-6. After all, it's what Giugiaro penned originally! And yes, the stainless bumpers really set off the Alfetta, gives it class and style that the black rubber bumpers sorely lack.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts