Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car has not been started in 18 months, so I had the fuel tank redone at a radiator shop, put all new fuel lines, fuel filters and a new under carriage fuel pump. Also, I put the earlier style under hood gas filter with Pressure Control Valve on it. I took out the two little silver 1 1/2" long filters?? Centerline rep said they were unnecessary.

After making sure I had gone through a pre-start check list, I cranked her up, took a couple of tries then she started and reved all the way to redline (ouch). I adjusted the main throttle cable (thought that was the problem) and cranked her again, still trying to rev up on its own, but I shut it down immediately.

Any ideas what I should look at to resolve the problem? Thanks in advance.

Wileyman
(2) '78 Spiders

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
If the throttle bores are closed, there is NO WAY that the engine will rev to redline.

Sounds like the adjustment of your Spica system is way out of wack.

Check to make sure the long and short rods are connected and the throttles butterflies are operating normally.

Those "filters" are just one-way check valves.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Two thoughts;

The throttle cable has has come out of the trough on the bellcrank (preventing the bellcrank from returning to idle position)
The bellcrank is sticking in an off idle position.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roadtrip got it right about checking the long and short rods. The one was right up against the hose clamp connecting the air filter box. Problem solved. Thanks much John!

Wileyman
(2) '78 Spiders

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm not sure about the later models, but my '69 spider has a manual choke under the dash on the left hand side. Could it be yours has this and it's pulled all the way out??

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I'm not sure about the later models, but my '69 spider has a manual choke under the dash on the left hand side. Could it be yours has this and it's pulled all the way out??
It's not a choke. Might be a manual thermostatic actuator, like a Shankle Sure-Start. Not OEM.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
It IS a hand throttle. The lever should be embossed with the letters ACCEL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts