Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. New owner of a 78 with 45,000 and some driver's side floorboard rust problems. Was under the car prepping for motor mounts and tranny mount when I came upon rust underneath floorboard. Same BS that I dealt with on my old Benz... Ohio cars:mad:
Chipped away the material covering the steel and things are looking cleaned up at least. Passenger side is not as far gone.

Happy to be involved on the forum! Thanks for any insights on repair etc!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Ouch!
That not only involves the floor but the frame rail, too. Be careful. Don't open both doors at the same time. ;)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
That is a structural frame rail of the forward uni-body, so it needs careful repair. Weldin if the only option and is pretty easy (relative to most other rust repairs) once the floor is cut out. Cut back to good metal and have it replaced/patched. Should be good for another 25-30 years!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yikes! I've never seen a frame rail that rusty! I agree the car is unsafe to drive in that condition.

I would have a skilled fabricator build and install a new frame rail or source another from a Western parts car. Slapping patches over the holes in the sides won't shore it up enough IMO.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 89 has similar rust on the drivers side stiffener / frame member, and is currently in the body shop. Find a guy who does hot rods or restorations and he'll have no problem fixing it. However, I suspect the cause of your problem may be the cowl vent hoses. Drill out the inner fender well plastic on either side and you should see a drain hose coming through the firewall. That leads from the cowl vent under the wipers. My hoses were completely broken at the firewall hence everytime it rained the cowl vent drained directly into the drivers and passengers floor. It appears your spider rusted from the top down as mine did so something to have a look at anyway. Never hurts to get those plastic shields out and clean behind them anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. 89 Veloce, what was the body shop quote for your repair? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
That amount of rust in a frame rail would indcate to me that there may be more in the major structural areas of the chassis, plus major rust in the rockers, which are triple construction units. I would do a 100% through inspection of all the chassis for rust before puttng any money onto repairing that frame trail and those floor bords.

Prices being what they are, you would probably be just as well served to buy a stripped body shell which is solid (they are out there, you just have to bird dog this BB, ebay, and craigslist) and has a good tille. Strip it down comlpetely and have it painted inside and out. Move everything over from your rusty runner and you will end up with a solid car, in outstanding condition.

Cost a lot, sure. But you will spend as much chasing rust in your current chassis and never be completely happy with the result.

In my opinon, you can never completely de-rust a rust bucket. But then I have a mainia about rusty cars.

Good luck, and keep us all posted on your progress.

Robert Hill in Memphis, TN

·
Registered
93 Posts
When it comes out of the shop I'll send some pictures and let you know what it cost. I'm hoping to get it back next week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts