Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning- I bought a moderately rusted, non-running white Alfetta last week. She is my first Alfa and I am in the planning phase of a complete customization. Front and rear bumpers were the first thing to go, I saved the bumper shocks, but here is my question.

Can I just chop off the bumper mounting locations and redo the body work front and rear? Or do I need to find, or fabricate some sort of bumper replacement? I have started sketching what I would like the custom front and rear end to look like, and she is bumperless. I worry about the smallest parking lot ding ruining my day and week, without bumpers. Has anyone fabricated an intergrated bumper into the body like modern cars have? I am also very concerned over budget on the project. I am a few days away from being a father for the first time, and my wife is quitting her job. So my cash flow will either bog down soon, or even start flowing backwards. Buying bumpers, when the car needs engine and drivetrain attention, will be hard for me to manage.

Oh yeah, anyone have a US source for radiators for the Alfetta? Took the radiator cap off, and the filler neck it attaches to is mangled and I believe beyond repair. I started looking ofr a replacement, and found the all to common scenario of lots for Spiders and GTV6 even, but not the Alfetta GT.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello to Oregon!

I also have an Alfetta of the same vintage which needs (or maybe not) the heavyweight US-issue bumpers replaced or removed as part of a planned semi-restoration. Here's the catch -- apparently some states mandate bumpers; in other states you do not necessarily need them. I have no idea how you would find out if Oregon is one of the 'must-haves', but here's a problem -- you may find that your insurance company would deny any claim if the bumpers are removed.

As for radiator repair, you should be able to do a local Yellow Pages search for a good repair shop. If all else fails, Ace Radiator in Bettendorf, IA (563.355.8511) have a complete repair/rebuild service. They are just down the street from my favourite muffler shop, Bettendorf Muffler (563.355.6610) who just built a custom system for me from the header back, for an unbelievably low amount of $$.

Good luck -- let us know how the project goes!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You point on the bumpers is well taken. I have a great insurance agent, and I have yet to discuss getting the Alfetta insured. I guess it would be a really good idea to know the regs prior to going completely bumperless. I do know that one of my buddies has redone a couple bugs, bumperless, and a Fiat Spider bumperless, and they were on the road.

I did some talking to a radiator guy and he said they could make a custom radiator if need be and the price quote, while not set in stone, was not bad.

I am currently trying to fix the mangled electrical, and then try to fire her up and see what happens. Wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
You can also try sourcing a good used radiator from APE (Alfa Parts Exchange)
http://www.apedirect.com/
Call them using the number on the website (they don't email - and that site hasn't been updated in YEARS), hopefully that's their current number...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can also try sourcing a good used radiator from APE (Alfa Parts Exchange)
http://www.apedirect.com/
Call them using the number on the website (they don't email - and that site hasn't been updated in YEARS), hopefully that's their current number...
Excellent. I have some time before the radiator will be a critical issue, but sooner than later I will need to address it to get her on the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts