·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also posted in HVAC forum.
I
Alfetta blower fan 001.JPG
Alfetta blower fan 003.JPG
I'm trying to get to the fan and resistor in my sedan. Dash is out for replacement and A/C is inoperative (and unneeded). How do I get into this thing? I replaced stepper gears on my 164S and overhauled the heater box on my GTV, but this one has me stymied!
Thanks in advance,
Jeff Lang

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
If you live in a cold climate plumb the coolant into this and you have a spare heater. Did it for years on GTV-6's and Alfettas. The fan resistor is located on the drivers front fender near the brake master under the hood. Has 3 wires, look like a 21/2 ceramic tube wound with wire.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks-the plot thickens...
No resistor underhood on the Alfetta. On my GTV6 it's right where you said. Getting the fan to go on this heap sounded so simple at first!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Seriously?
Nobody here has ever replaced a blower motor, evaporator, heater core in a Sport Sedan or Alfetta?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve done it. Happy to provide guidance assuming you are ready to remove both front seats and all center console parts, and you’re comfortable laying on your back using small tools (pliers/sockets/screwdrivers), using tape on the tip of the tools to catch small parts, and so on. Vacuum and clear the area under the dash - when a clip flies and lands, much easier to find if the floor is clear. Also, as you know, every interior part is NLA! You have to remove the large black ‘plastic’ housing from under the dash and then take it apart (more on that later). First step, take photos from front/sides/underneath of what it looks like now - fully assembled and attached. Supplement these with diagrams of the wiring and cables. I’ll work on a write up of the steps I took and post it. I have a few photos also.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, I appreciate your help! I have the dash out, and can remove the seats easily enough (haven't removed them so far just to keep the car driveable even with no gauges). I'll remove the console, etc. There is a spring clip on the very back of the lower plastic blower housing that will be a challenge for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The entire housing is a clamshell with clips all the way around. So don’t remove any of those clips yet. Also, treat them like gold as I was unable to find any replacements. (I was missing one-ish). The housing is attached to the body of the car only by 4 10mm nuts at the very top. Look up the sides of that housing and you’ll see the nuts- 2 on each side, front and rear, attached to the underside of the drain housing. Wedge a support under the housing when you take those nuts off. You’ll need a long extension on the socket. The entire housing will be free with those 4 nuts removed although it will be stuck to the drain housing by some foam.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Drain the cooling system. With a catch can/tray ready, remove the hoses from the heater core, first using wd40 or pbb to free everything up. Plan on replacing those hoses.

Next, dissemble the mid and lower center dash components and free up the heater control level assembly since that is attached to the housing (via the control cables).

Next, remove the wiring attached to the housing (photos and/or diagrams (old school) made 1st..) I also loosened/removed the flap and temp control cables from the lever assembly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
By the way, I did this job thinking I needed to replace the blower motor. It was making a ton of noise all of a sudden. However, what had actually happened was, the blower had shifted out of position and the fans were hitting the housing. The blower is attached to the housing internally by a strap that had come loose on my car.

once the housing is on the bench so to speak, You have to remove the clips and one or 2 small screws holding the 2 half’s together...and then pull it apart slowly so you can see how the flaps mount and how everything lines up. Once it’s apart you’ll want to wash out the housing and heater core.

·
Registered
14 Posts
One last note - my car does not have a/c ! Needless to say you have more plumbing under there and there could be major differences. The details I’ve posted today are for a non-a/c 78 sport sedan. Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Thanks for the help!!

Jeff's main issue is the fan doesn't blow. Since you've been in there? is there an easy way to check the fan/resistor before disassembly?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh boy. I can say there is no way to put power directly to the fan (to test it) since it’s wired via the resistor and both components (on a non a/c car) are mounted inside the housing. I’d get some contact cleaner - the type that does not attack plastic - and spray / work the fan switch - after hitting it with wd40. Make sure the power lead and ground to the fan switch are good. I can’t advise on bypassing the fan switch, but Jeff could disconnect it and test it for continuity. On the non-a/c car there is also a contact on the bottom lever (this lever closes the vent flap inside the housing)...the ground contact shuts the fan off -regardless of the fan speed switch position - when the vent is fully closed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts