Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my last post.My Town says I have too many cars unregistered.Two weeks from now it goes to the crusher.See FS post here or Craigslist-Denver in autos for sale-Alfa.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Too bad it looks like it's been sitting over dirt. The rust you see is probably the least of what's there.

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
Too bad it looks like it's been sitting over dirt. The rust you see is probably the least of what's there.
Send me the door handles before it goes to the crusher! :)
J

·
Registered
906 Posts
If the city wants it so bad let them work for you. Take the $250 rims off it along with the $75 door handles/key and a few other trim bits and let them come get it.:D

--Dave

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
On the Alfetta, isn't the bolt circle for wheels 4x98mm? Does anyone know how much grief it is to modify the wheels on a 4x108mm car to the smaller circle? I could readily imagine modifying a wheel for the lug bolts as used on a 164, but putting TWO bolt circles to allow use of 4x98 and 4x108 wheels as desired. Seems like a _nice_ option of a fellow had a hankering for the wheels on this Alfetta.

Michael

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
'78 Alfetta

Hi Alfafriends,thankyou for your replies.I'm having trouble with Craigslist-Denver on posting pics of the whole car,they were there,my wife is going to repost on Craigslist today and make sure they show up.Alfetta wheel bolt pattern is different and probably dangerous to modify,they do look very similiar to the Ferrari Dino wheels.Engine doesn't smoke,clutch is tight,no donut rattle,exhaust system is quiet,no cracked windows,generous sound system.I prefer to sell the car as a whole unit.This is my last post for this car only.I will always be a member of AlfaBB,Mark.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The wheels will fit the alfetta series alfa only. Would also fit most fiats and the Lancia beta series. Good luck with the sale.

--Dave

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Does anyone know how much grief it is to modify the wheels on a 4x108mm car to the smaller circle?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Does anyone know how much grief it is to modify the wheels on a 4x108mm car to the smaller circle?
I am going to take a shot in the dark and say that, if it is at all possible, it should be pretty easy, with one proviso: you have to have a true Bridgeport artisan to do the work.

I am not talking about drilling new holes in the wheels. I think that would look like s**t, and be dangerous. I am talking about drilling new holes in your hubs so that you can install studs on a 98mm circle and mount the Alfetta wheels. That might be doable, but, if so, could only be done sucessfully by someone who is dead on with a mill.

Unanswered question: Offset?

They are gorgeous wheels - one of Campy's best designs IMO - I have a set on one of my Sport Sedans. :p (And am always looking for another set at a reasonable price.)

Good luck,

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
At UC Berkeley's graduate school, prospective experimental physicists were expected to know what was involved in the making of hardware and were required to do a shop class. I learned up from down, a mill from a lathe, and how to spec drawings (at least a bit). If I had a mill, it would be trivial to make the required holes in the axle flange, and even to press in the lug studs. I could thread female holes if I wanted to convert to lug bolts, but knowing whether this would be engineering-wise a Good Thing is altogether a different question. I think it might be possble to make up and market assemblies for just this purpose. Replacement axle shafts and front disks -- easy. But the wisdom of such action is an open question.

Michael

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Hi Michael,

Congratulations on the higher learning!! I wish that I had gotten the college bug earlier in life so that I would have had time to go to graduate school.

Now: Offset, what about offset? OK, assuming that is not an issue what engineering point are you questioning? Some theoretical strength difference between the different circle dimensions? I can assure you that 4 boltx98mm circle Alfettas are easily as capable of putting high loads on their wheels as any street car Alfa ever made with a 4x108. The wheels don't fall off in either case.

Of course for racing, Alfettas are usually converted to 5-lug. I certainly would not advise anyone to convert a 5-lug setup to 4-lug, but for what I assume you are intending - street use on a 105/115 that has a 4x108 - 4x98 will work just fine. I guess that possibly some design quirk of the hubs or flanges would somehow make this a bad idea, i.e. they are thinner towards the middle where the new holes would go, but I don't recall seeing anything like that. Quit tripping and go for it. Get those wheels in Colorado!! Hey, if you can't make them work, somebody will buy them from you eventually.

Standard disclaimer: You act at your own risk. I am not a professional suspension system engineer. I don't know what I am talking about. I am insane. Do not listen to me or follow my advice at all. Say "OK". I didn't hear you. A little louder please. Thank you.

Regards,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts