Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
I just have to see the rules
GCR 1967
there is mention of
'Production Category automobiles must be raced as they are normally delivered to the public through the manufacturers’ sales outlets, except that they may be up-dated or back-dated within the specifications of a recognized make and model, and except for the modifications authorized by these Rules.'
Here are the officials for 1969
http://www.virhistory.com/cars/arrc/off/off-69.JPG
here is Ken's detail of 1969
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-history/200923-1969-scca-races-alfa-content.html
Heres Tim Doyle's summary http://www.zooautocraft.com.au/zoo-blog/2016/6/10/gta-trans-am-history
here are some more rules
http://historicracinggroup.com/resources/Rules/SCCA_Vintage_Rules/UpdatedVintageGCRRuleBook.pdf

What I'm trying to work out is if those that could not get alloy panels quickly to fix their cars were putting on steel panels so as to 'up-dated or back-dated' their cars if crashed was a common practice ?
Regards Steve

·
Registered
780 Posts
Could you also race a GT Sprint, GTj or a GT Veloce 1600 as a GTA/GTAj via the back/forward dating rules, by putting alloy panels on the GT Sprint, GTj or a GT Veloce 1600?
As well as race a GTA/GTAj as a GT Sprint, GTj or a GT Veloce 1600 by putting steel panels on say a crashed GTA/GTAj when you could not get alloy panels?

Regards Steve

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have no information to say that 775511 ever had steel fenders. Gene obviously had an accident and replaced the front end with aluminium fenders from the factory. When I bought the car it had aluminium fenders but I can't tell if these were the factory replacements Gene bought. I suspect not. The logbook says "Involved in incident during race. Damage to RF and RR fenders, broken wheels. No apparent suspension or frame damage". This was at Indoc National 5/2/80 when the car was owned by Larry Strickfaden. (Where or what was Indoc?). The same damage was noted in the logbook at its next (and last) race at Indianapolis National Raceway on 4/26/81. I assume the damage had been poorly repaired. When the car arrived in Australia it had a twisted cross member but the aluminium fenders were intact and looked new.
Colin

·
Registered
780 Posts
This the one that had steel front fenders? ...
Andrew
I was just trying to work out if steel bodied GTAs or GTAj were about, the rules would allow it appears.
Some think they were about.
So Gene crashed the car in ~1970 and said he repaired it with another front end then it was crashed again in 1980 at Indoc National 5/2/80 when the car was owned by Larry Strickfaden.
Regards Steve

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hi Colin,
Congratulations on a fine job & the persistence to stick it out. great job by Tim Doyle & Mick & the boys! I know how these things can sometimes get away from you & take on a path of their own that you probably never imagined at the start!
I love the period number style & GTA1300 graphics, that really tops it off.
I hope you will have it at Phillip Island in March, otherwise Auto Italia Canberra?
Cheers,
Vin.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I was just trying to work out if steel bodied GTAs or GTAj were about, the rules would allow it appears.
Some think they were about.
So Gene crashed the car in ~1970 and said he repaired it with another front end then it was crashed again in 1980 at Indoc National 5/2/80 when the car was owned by Larry Strickfaden.
Regards Steve

In the later years of the Trans Am Series the Alfas, because of the twin cam, were required to carry extra weight. So using some steel panels because it was fast and economical compared to getting aluminum from the importer was not a performance penalty. The economical aspect would always be a consideration for independent low budget racers.

So it is said that the ex Midley GTA 613217 got a steel rear clip. I can also say that 752507 came to me in 1984 as wide body for C Sedan use with a steel nose and lots of other evidence of crash damage. Adding weight to ones racer generally makes your competitors happy.

Ken

·
Registered
10 Posts
I found another photo of my GTA Jr. This one is from a car show in April 1970. Also found a note showing that I paid $5,800 for the race-ready car delivered to Newark.

Some race results that I could find:

1969: First places at Stuttgart, Ark; Memphis Tn; Witchita, KS; Second places at Ponca City, OK; St. Louis, Mo; Blackhawk Farms, IL. Second place Midwest Division for the season. Tenth place ARRC at Daytona, FL

1970: First place Witchita, KS; Second place Brainard, MN; Third place Atlanta, GA. Tied second Midwest Divison for the season. Qualified but didn't go to ARRC.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thank you Vin. There is plenty of your work, parts and advice in this car too. So thank you for all that.
It's been a long journey but I've enjoyed it and I am thrilled with the result.
I certainly plan to bring the car to Auto Italia. I have entered Philip Island in my Group S 1750 and I can't bring both, but I could always switch and bring the GTA for Regularity.
Regards, Colin

·
Registered
700 Posts
I found another photo of my GTA Jr. This one is from a car show in April 1970. Also found a note showing that I paid $5,800 for the race-ready car delivered to Newark.

Some race results that I could find:

1969: First places at Stuttgart, Ark; Memphis Tn; Witchita, KS; Second places at Ponca City, OK; St. Louis, Mo; Blackhawk Farms, IL. Second place Midwest Division for the season. Tenth place ARRC at Daytona, FL

1970: First place Witchita, KS; Second place Brainard, MN; Third place Atlanta, GA. Tied second Midwest Divison for the season. Qualified but didn't go to ARRC.

That's approximately USD$40,000* in today's terms which is reasonable for a new GTA :grin2:
*Based on USA inflation rates

·
Registered
700 Posts
Regarding the weight....from the below picture that Gene provided the chart reads 1704lb approx. 773kgs. It would be nice to know what the GTA weights now?

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
You had some good results, Gene. Thanks for another period photo.
You should have kept the car as a long term investment. If only we knew then what we know now!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts