Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I've asked every other question here and have gotten a good quick answer that works so here goes.

Thought I was going in today for an easy smog pass on the 77 2000 spider with Spica I have but I was wrong. The car was tested back in August and passed with flying colors. Nothing has been changed since then. I took it in today and the CO% was extremely high; 4.28 when it should be around 1.41 max and the NO was low; max allowed 1396 measures at 147. The tech said the car is running very rich.

Timing is correct, plugs and wires were new in July of last year. Car runs great and purss like a kitten so I can't figure out where the problem might be. I read all roadtrips info on the spica pump but that doesn't really help with this situation.

I've been trying to get hold of a friend who works on alfas to ask him about this but no luck. The tech suggested I bring him in to tune it on the dyno but I don't think he is going to agree to this.

What do I look for and how do I adjust it to get rid of the over rich in the system?

second question- there is a fitting for a cold air hose on top of the exhaust but there is nowhere for it to run to on the other end. I've been trying to search for pictures of a 77 engine bay here but so far no luck. Is this the correct exhaust on the car and if so where is the other end of the hose supposed to go to. There is no connection on the air cleaner or close to it.

Thanks,
Randy
Ventura Alfa

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
I would recheck the thermostatic actuator. It may have gone south which will drive the hc very high.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Warm the car up to operating temperature and check the pump gap on the rear of the injection pump. It should be .019" or less. If it's more, it could be that the TA is going bad and not leaning the mixture out to normal running. A rich running engine will run fine. What color are the spark plugs? Are they sooty?

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
Randy,

It's actually a hot air hose. A corregated hose (approx. 1 1/2 in. Dia.) that starts at the exhaust manifold, crosses over the cam cover and attaches to the air cleaner. There should be two big U-shaped plastic clips on the cam cover to secure the hose. It sounds like the PO may have changed some things.

...second question- there is a fitting for a cold air hose on top of the exhaust but there is nowhere for it to run to on the other end. I've been trying to search for pictures of a 77 engine bay here but so far no luck. Is this the correct exhaust on the car and if so where is the other end of the hose supposed to go to. There is no connection on the air cleaner or close to it.

Thanks,
Randy
Ventura Alfa

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
The 77s did have a thermostatic actuated air cleaner. The hot air hose ran from the exhaust manifold, across the valve cover and onto the fitting that sticks out the front of the air box. The pictures below are from a 76, but it should be the same, I believe.

Attachments

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,784 Posts
did not your car come with air injection? your exhaust manifold has bolts where the injection used to be.on a freinds 76 spider , cal. car.. we just could not get thru smog, just a few points off,, twice check everything, still could not get it thru...even with new cat.. so answer,, e-85 fuel, filled the tank,, ran it for 50 miles to get it warmed up..pass smog first pass... she was very happy.. at least she could drive the car now.. in a few weeks i am going to re-check everything agian( no charge)valve cler. etc.after the smog check out , put 1/2 bottle of marvel mistery oil to help the spica pump, untill all the e-85 was gone. she runs fine, the test numbers where quite low do the the e-85.. less hydocarbons, more alc.= more o2 in the fuel.

·
Weaving a Spider's Web.
1,156 Posts
I got my 77 through with a new cat and the air pump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.