Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: okay i guess i did not know what i was buying.....but geeesssh.

did i blow it that bad??? 77 spider paid 6,000 needs about 1500 maybe 2,000. magor problem with smog here in CA.

how bad is it?

Michelle Arconti

·
Administrator
16,645 Posts
Ahh, you cannot put a price on the joy of Alfa ownership...! Welcome to the AlfaBB!!

What does the car 'need'?

Re: Smog - I assume the car has SPICA fuel injection. It is & can be a great system but it is also unique to Alfa. Have the system checked & tuned by someone who KNOWS what they are doing. Scroll down to the Carbs & FI section of the BB for a couple of 'sticky' posts about the SPICA system.

P.S pictures we wants pictures!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm in santa barbara. indeed i need the right guy to work on this car....i have a few contacts that i have not yet called. the car needs/has a cracked gasket, front breaks, tune up, belt, timming? etc.....the smog guy said i'm going to have a hard time. thanks for the kind words, its a 3rd car just for fun....but i havent told you whatelse i did in the way of cars......hhhhhmmmm, michelle (pic.s on the way....)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cracked no no not blown.....it's leaking oil, but the guy thought he should pull the motor out and replace all the seals etc....it likley needs an overhaul.....2500 would get me fixed completly....then i 'm into the car for 8 g's or so.....the 80's spiders are much better....better steal better injection, catalytic converters etc....i just like that retro body......

·
Registered
76 Posts
After the first of next year it should be smog exempt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
true then the car would be 20 yrs old......okay thats better. so are you all saying it's worth puting some $$$$ in this car????

i cant do the picture thing.....Michelle

in other news: i await today for a 66 saab 850 to be deliverd today.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
....it likley needs an overhaul.....2500 would get me fixed completly....then i 'm into the car for 8 g's or so.....the 80's spiders are much better....better steal better injection, catalytic converters etc....i just like that retro body......
The pre-smog era cars, 1974 and earlier, and Bosch injected versions, 1982 and later, are faster in stock form. However, they share the same block and head, and what makes your 77 (and the rest of the series 2b cars) slower is the way in which the cars are set-up, relative to fuel management, camshafts, and management of spent gases through the exhaust system. This approach had to do with passing emissions during a period in which the industry as a whole was struggling to meet required smog levels. Your car is every bit a Spider, and there is no reason why it won't become a great ride for you. Yes, based on the mechanical condition it sounds like you may have overpaid, but even $6k isn't going to break you, so if I were you, I would just continue to look forward - as it seems is what you are doing. :)

Now for the important stuff. There are shops which know Alfas inside and out and there is no way that a general mechanic, no matter how good, is going to have the same level of expertise, and know years of little tricks that pay off big in properly sorting out a Spider. Even if a good mechanic is quoting you a lower or reasonable price, it's based on less knowledge, when compared to the opinion of someone who has done the same procedures many times. I realize you are in Santa Barbara (my favorite town in CA!) and probably don't have an Alfa shop close by, and it would be nice to have the car serviced locally, but I wouldn't consider anything other than an experienced shop, especially for an engine overhaul. They will also be able to tell you what else you should or could do to your specific Spider that will make you happy, and have no issues meeting emissions. Send me a private message (PM) if you want the name of a place that won't disappoint you, although they are not in Santa Barbara.

Best regards,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i thought the 77's had the catalytic converter to help with that?...i paid 5100 and 800 to ship.....m

·
Registered
56 Posts
......okay thats better. so are you all saying it's worth puting some $$$$ in this car????

I paid $4500 for my car. $2400 for needed repairs - radiator, motor mounts, rear seal, rear trans mount, center driveshaft support, rear pinion seal, clutch. $500 for new tires. Probably another $800 in parts I have installed or have ready to install. I am about $1200 away from having all-new suspension.

But then, I'll have a classic that is a blast to drive, handles like a dream, turns heads, and has mojo.

-Phil

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I have a 76 spider if that helps. If the head gasket leaks, the head has to be pulled. Have a compression check run the car when it is hot, and the throttle wide open. How many miles on the car? The worst is a complete valve job. That will get you along ways down the road. There used to be a mechanic on South Anacapa street I think that specialized in Alfa's. Check the thermostatic acutator to see if the extension tube is not extending when the engine is hot. This will throw all the FI adjustments way out so the car won't pass smog.
Your car doesn't sound that far out of the bounds of reality of being a great daily driver. Just take on one problem at a time. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you can get it as far as Santa Cruz look up Phil Mason.
I'm not sure 2500 will cover an overhaul, perhaps if minimal parts and you do the work... plan more toward 5-6k for professional work.
Christopher is right though, you might slide by smog with a SPICA tune and or TA (Thermostatic Actuator). See the Carb/FI section.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
cracked no no not blown.....it's leaking oil, but the guy thought he should pull the motor out and replace all the seals etc....it likley needs an overhaul.....2500 would get me fixed completly....then i 'm into the car for 8 g's or so.....the 80's spiders are much better....better steal better injection, catalytic converters etc....i just like that retro body......
Well, I'd start wth a little help - try this:

AROC of Central California [ Alfa Romeo Owners Club ]
Fred Zimmermann
1128 Palomino Road
Santa Barbara, CA 93105
(805) 682-5744
[email protected]

At least you'll have someone to commiserate with.. :)

jeff

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alfa repair in SB...

See Emilio at:
A&A Import Service
434 E Haley St. #B
Santa Barbara, CA.
805-966-2498

I'm in Ojai, and take my 77' there for service.

thrash-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts