Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a continuation of this thread...

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=41639

I thought it should be in the Alfetta section now that its almost done.

Actually its been pretty much done over the last 3 weeks now but ive been a bit under the weather and thats my excuse and im sticking to it :rolleyes:

I borrowed a special spray gun to use with cavity wax that i bought in 1 liter tins, it has a flexible hose on the end so its easy to get into tight areas. You can see there are 4x holes in the inner sill panel that i pumped LOTS of cavity wax into, to the point it was dripping out all over the driveway.

I also did the doors, 1/4 panels, spare wheel well, front valance and pretty much everywhere else i could find... well it IS and Alfa after all :confused: :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also painted the front spoilers, i doubt they are good for much downforce but hey they look cool right? Thats all the matters ;)

I got a plastic roll and redid all the doors as the old plastic was shot.

*Edit* oh yeah, also installed new door rubbers and hatch rubber, they fit perfect, i got them from http://www.highwoodalfa.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
And now for the carpet. I decided to get superplush, maybe next time i would go for the original loop pile, but after TONS of trimming and stuffing around it started to look alright.

I placed Alfas own brand of psychedelic colour changing capet on top of the new carpet and made some marks with chalk.

Finding the screw holes under a carpet is a total pain up the backside as im sure most of you know, so with a stroke of genius (ok stop laughing now please) i stuck a pin in the carpet where the holes are and and lined them up with the trim. Bob's your uncle ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a lil bit of trimming... and that doesn't include the large bits i had to cut out for the handbrake etc. It must have been a friday afternoon at the carpet factory :rolleyes:

So far so good, just needs a few more sacrifices to the carpet gods.

Next update... the dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
Fantastic stuff. Glad you saved it from me. I'm seriously considering doing the prep work on the turbo alfetta myself now - surely even I can't stuff that up to badly - right? Definitely not brave enough to actaully try painting it, no matter how easy you have made it look!

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
looks very nice!!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Your steering wheel is on the wrong side.

Haha....looks great man! Yeah, the interior in my 76 Alfetta GTV is in great shape, except for that terrible purple color changing carpet!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Certainly an inspiration-ironically I have an identical car right down to the later rims but `76. My other early 116 GTV -a `77 Aust version has the same switch on the centre console behind the handbrake as yours-what is it? Haven`t been able to determine its function. Keep up the good work I think the 116 cars are under appreciated, especially the early versions (ser 1)

Richard J
`69 GTJ, `74 GTV, `76 Alfetta GTV, `77 Alfetta GTV, `81 Alfasud Ti, `84 GTV6, `90 164

·
Registered
398 Posts
Beautiful! Make sure your cavity wax doesn't clog the drain holes in the doors though - and of course fill the cavities behind the front wheels with it!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
very nice, the red looks great. I have tackled these carpets before in my vfiat 124bc. You have probably noted by now that superplush is a pain to fit under trim and balls up like a *****. Other than that it looks good, especially if you put some effort in as you clearly have.

Keep the picks comeing, what rims will you run, the ones on it?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I just ran across this thread so went to The Beginning and like everyone else, I'm quite impressed. I always spray single stage paint, but must admit the two stage red sure looks terrific in the photos.

A bit off the subject (though might be coming up) I did go to Scott's Old Auto Rubber. I gather you have to search for the shape of the seal then simply order by the meter? What I'm leading up to is I'd sure love to find the upper rubber door seal which fits on the doors of Alfetta GT's and GTV6's. Does Scott's have it (I didn't see it listed on their vintage page of solid rubber products) or has anyone found a source for it?

This is certainly not the place for a WTB, but I'd sure like to find the front sheetmetal with the louvers/cutouts just below the grill for non-US Alfetta's along with the built in turn lamps like on GCL's Alfetta (louver envy?).

Biba

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fantastic stuff. Glad you saved it from me. I'm seriously considering doing the prep work on the turbo alfetta myself now - surely even I can't stuff that up to badly - right? Definitely not brave enough to actaully try painting it, no matter how easy you have made it look!
Well one thing is for sure, no matter how bad anyone might stuff something up it can be sorted out fairly easily so theres no excuse in not trying! Buy some books in body/paint, it might seem daunting when you get started but after awhile things fall into place, i think the hardset part is trying to find the time to get it done, i did a lot of the work after my day job and spent the odd day on a weekend. My suggestion is to wait until the weather warms up, its a lot harder to stay motivated when its cold outside :p

very nice, the red looks great. I have tackled these carpets before in my vfiat 124bc. You have probably noted by now that superplush is a pain to fit under trim and balls up like a *****. Other than that it looks good, especially if you put some effort in as you clearly have.

Keep the picks comeing, what rims will you run, the ones on it?
Not sure on the wheels yet, i want something that will look good on the street but i also want a set of wheels that are period correct. Im onto a set of Momo Vegas but i was also thinking about a set of 16" performance superlights with gunmetal centres, or i might put on these 17" 5 spoke rims that are currently on an unregistered Fiat 131 i have and see how they look.

I just ran across this thread so went to The Beginning and like everyone else, I'm quite impressed. I always spray single stage paint, but must admit the two stage red sure looks terrific in the photos.

A bit off the subject (though might be coming up) I did go to Scott's Old Auto Rubber. I gather you have to search for the shape of the seal then simply order by the meter? What I'm leading up to is I'd sure love to find the upper rubber door seal which fits on the doors of Alfetta GT's and GTV6's. Does Scott's have it (I didn't see it listed on their vintage page of solid rubber products) or has anyone found a source for it?

This is certainly not the place for a WTB, but I'd sure like to find the front sheetmetal with the louvers/cutouts just below the grill for non-US Alfetta's along with the built in turn lamps like on GCL's Alfetta (louver envy?).

Biba
Well i was originally going to get the rubber from scotts old auto rubber but after filling out the request on the website i never got a reply, so that was a waste of my time.

So forget them, i hate bad/lack of service so my money went overseas to highwood alfa. Im glad i did because the rubbers were 100% perfect and cost less and arrived within the week.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heres the link for 116 parts...

http://highwoodalfa.com/alfa romeo 116 alfetta.htm

Main door seals £38.00

Tailgate seal £20.00

Windscreen seal (early with chrome trim) £90.00

Also it looks like they have the front valance panel you are after... not cheap though!

Lower front panel (chrome bumper cars) £200.00

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
GCL, I'm talking about the solid rubber upper door seal that is actually on the door - not the one on the body which is foam and surounds the entire door.

Yeah, I deal with Chris at Highwood - he just located Lemforder (the good, expensive ones) lower ball joints and tie rod ends for me. He happened to have the correct 'offset' bolt upper ball joints in stock. Along with replacing all of the bushings (three per side), I've just spent the last six days installing it all. Oy!

Biba

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Im not sure where you could locate those rubbers. Mine were in good condition, perhaps search a wreckers you might find a good set or send a sample to a rubber supplier and see what they come up with.

Another option is actually scanning the rubber, cut off a small peice at the end to get a side view and include measurements, that way you can fax/email it to whatever rubber suppliers easily. There must be a few places around cali?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Alrighty ive had the car pretty much done for awhile now and i can say im pretty **** happy with how it turned out, i spent more money on it than i initially thought i would but i think it was worth it in the end.

I took it for a good drive out to Dubbo and back a couple weeks ago and she performed like a champ, i put on the ITG air filter and ram tubes i had in storage before the trip and i can say the induction noise can get rather loud after about 5 hours of driving but its all good fun :D

Im totally stoked on how the paint turned out, i havent even given it a hand polish yet, i must get around to it soon. I'm also pretty pleased with the dash job i did, ill post more on that later too...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
ill bet you are all thinking cool mudflaps! yes i COMPLETELY AGREE :D

on to the interior... just needs new fron seat covers and some stitching on the rear seats and the whole car will look almost new...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well its been fun and all but im now offering the car for sale.

Its hard to put a price on it, there have been a few advertised for around the 7000-9000 mark but i think they are dreaming?

So im going to ask $5,600neg, thats less than i have spent on it so i think thats a good place to start.

Its not an urgent sale but ill put it in the Alfa club mag as well and see what happens.

I also have an '84 Fiat 131 for sale as well if anyone might be interested for pocket change.

PM me if interested in either :eek:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts