Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into doing either an Alfetta or a spider, both spica, and doing track TT and maybe scca vintage if the cars aren't too new. I've seen both on the track and they both perform well. Just looking for owners opinion's on which they prefer and why. They seem about evenly matched with the Alfetta a bit heavier, but they have two different types of suspensions. I currently drive a '87 Milano Verde in TT and plow through the turns with the heavier front end and the car is too new to get into vintage racing so its still street.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Many Vintage organizations will want your car to be pre 1972. You'll have to look into your local rules and organazations. The spider will be allowed in even though it is a 75 as long as it is prepared as though it is a 72 since it is a continuation body style. There will be more parts available to "race tune" the spider as well.
Having said that, I think it would be cool as hell to race an Alfetta GTV.

I know of a roller d-production spider that has been sitting for 5-6 years that could probably be bought for $5k. Drop in the engine and trans of your choice and go racing!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I had a 105 GTV as a track car and am now doing a GTV6 and my thought is that a Spider, being a 105 chassis, will be easier to make fast and enjoyable to drive on the track than an Alfetta. Go Fast Parts are easier to come by and 105s just seeem to need less stuff to go quick and be NICE to drive on the track (sorry Alfetta boys, its true). On the road or for rallying, its a different kettle of fish.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
You said at the Concorso that turns don't matter at all when racing right? Something along the lines of all cars go the same speed around a turn, so you can only rely on horsepower. That being the case, you should build up whichever accelerates and stops better. I think the light weight of the spider would be better for this.

Makes me feel pretty foolish though, as I've spent my entire savings on modified spindles, sway bars, torsion bars, shocks, etc. that trippled the inital purchase price of my car ($500) when I should have just bought a NOS wetfogger system and left my suspension stock.

Personally, I'd pick the Alfetta. Apparently, Jim Ferris' Alfetta racecar is for sale according to a PM I just got from him.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On any track there are some "throw away" turns that all cars are going to be going slow. Not the place to make up times which is why I said that my Milano went through those turns as fast as the corvette, but not all turns. Probably a misunderstanding at Concorso. Wine/beer talking

I spoke with the San Fran SCCA and they would accept both the '76 Alfetta and the '75 Spider in the vintage race class. Both have different suspensions and I am looking for people's opinions who have owned/race either one. Plus both are currently available to me for purchase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts