Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Cool Thread, and kind of the same direction I'll head in once I build a real garage and get my '75 Alfetta GT out of the shed thing I've got now. My upgrades are going to come mostly from the '84 GTV 6 I had to cut up from rust (too far gone to salvage). Part of me wants to use or make something similar to the split bumpers from the early X1/9s. And I'm fully planning on using the sort-of trapezoidal side mirrors from the late 105/115 cars - much more appropriate for the Alfetta lines than the round ones that came stock or the giant powered GTV 6 mirrors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Alfasteve91 -- I live in SW Portland (Oregon). I have a '76 Alfetta that I'm parting out, as I'm planning to use the suspension and drive train for a aluminum bodied recreation of a 50's Alfa racing vehicle. So if you need any parts just let me know. Hood and doors look solid; too bad the rockers are starting to rust out. Any other sheet metal could be cut out/off (except the roof top, that is spoken for). I also have front turn signals/bezels, bumpers, all glass (except the windshield), power antenna, rear seat, side marker lights, seat belts, and lots of other bits and bobs. PM me with questions, or you can see the car on Portland Craigslist. Happy Holidays,

·
Registered
634 Posts
Drop a TwinSpark from a European 75 in it if you can find one.
They're a direct fit as the motor mounts, exhaust and driveshaft all line up.
I drove Alfetta GTs for years and years and thoroughly enjoyed them.
They're cool looking, fun to drive, relatively easy to work on and aren't hard on your wallet.
Good luck with your project.
I'll second that emotion! I was lucky enough to drive one of Ron Simons' 75's with a 2.0TS at the 'ring, and it was really delightful. A much more modern motor (or cylinder head!).

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have the bright trim that goes around the windows and the top of the car. It’s not going back on mine. Plus a working a/c unit compressor, plus a whole bunch of other stuff for 76 alfetta gt that’s not going back on the car.
id like to see a different engine if it’s going to be resto mod. Turbo fiat would be good but electronics will drive you crazy.
it’s gotta be turbo for modern resto mod.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Good Progress today! Finished taking the wiring harness out, as well as the front-to-back wiring and the rear lights harness. Marked everything with "little blue tape". Also, got the wheel hub and the turn/lights/wiper assembly off. Fortunately, the PO had replaced the stock wheel, so the replacement hub came right off with some WD-40 releaser and a few knocks from a hammer.

Also, I removed all the original fuzzy insulation that would come out easily. There's still lots of the stuff everywhere, stuck to everything. I'm going to get a hard-bristle brush (not metal) that I can put on my drill and see if that will remove all the fuzz. Still contemplating what to do with/to the factory sludgy stuff that is applied directly on the floorboards. I've read how fun it is to take off, so am contemplating leaving it. Amazingly, I still find absolutely no rust, so I'm starting to worry less about completely stripping the cabin down to bare metal. I'll still coat it and paint it - don't want it to be red any longer.

Finally, I decided to really take the plunge and remove/replace the headliner. Yes, I started this before I read anything on the bb about how fun it is... and i can only imagine. I've found the little metal wires that run across the cabin and give the headliner tension, but not yet sure how to remove them (will create a separate thread, but post the answer here also...). I can't imagine putting all this work into the car, and leaving the headliner as-is. Open to suggestions as to how to change it, or use stock material. Any ideas?

Oh, and by the way... thanks to those of you that have succeeded in getting me obsessed over a Twin-Spark! Mrs. D would like to talk with each and every one of you...

All wires gone except for the ones that go up to the cabin lights - I'll get those when I do the headliner.

Here's the start of the headliner removal. It's pulling away from the metal easily - have yet to tear it. My intent (naively, i'm sure) is to take it out in one piece to use as a template for the replacement.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Hey Alfa Steve

Are you going to keep the Alfetta 4 bolt wheel pattern or switch to the 5 bolt GTV6/Milano/164 pattern ? If you want to go with 5 bolt you can transfer the front and rear hubs from the GTV6 to the Alfetta.

If you switch the whole front spindle you can use the fancy Brembo calipers and the vented rotors that come with the GTV6. Extremely earlier Alfettas came with 27mm spindle. After 1976 the spindle was increased in diameter to 29mm and they stayed like that until the end of production.

From the centerline Website

Seal Front Wheel 1976+ Alfetta, GTV/6, Milano
Front wheel seal for Alfetta late 1976-79, GTV/6 and Milano (All) 1981-89. Fits cars with 29mm spindles.

Part #OS524
Seal Front Wheel Alfetta 1975
Front wheel seal for 1975 and some early 1976 Alfettas with 27mm spindle.

Take a picture of your rear guibo and post it please. The Alfetta went through several guibo designs and a US Government recall.

Also do you have the Alfetta and GTV6 parts books ? They're on the OKP website. You definitely need them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Are you going to keep the Alfetta 4 bolt wheel pattern or switch to the 5 bolt GTV6/Milano/164 pattern ? If you want to go with 5 bolt you can transfer the front and rear hubs from the GTV6 to the Alfetta.
This is why I love this place! Thanks for the input, Milanoguy - I know that I will be using your help more as I progress!

My intent is to swap everything from my '84 GTV6 parts car into the Alfetta, so I get the 5-bolts and the ventilated brakes/brembos. Same with the back - as much of a full swap as possible. I plan to keep the Alfetta transaxle, however, unless I get otherwise advice. I've yet to tear into the suspension - working on the interior clean-out first, followed by removing the engine for a fairly complete re-build. Thrn, depending on transaxle advice, i'll either re-build the Alfetta T/A, or swap in the GTV6 one, although I seem to have read that there are some watch-outs with this... While the engine/interior/transaxle is out, i'll have the car painted (up, down, in, out). Then, i'll start on the suspension swap.

I've been living on-line, and have spent lots of time at OKP, but didn't see the parts books - thanks, again, sir!

Thoughts...? Anyone...?

When I start on the drivetrain, i'll start posting pictures of underneath. I've heard that the best (only?) way to determine which guibo's to use is to look at what was there...

BTW - I've just spent the last few hours on the bb looking for some definitive instructions on headliner replacement, and so far, all I can find is "take it to an upholstery shop". It appears that I've crossed over into the land of "don't try this at home." Trying to keep these moments at a minimum - not because I can't afford it (OK, a little of that) but more because I really want to do most of this myself, over 2-4 years.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Found an old “engine transplants alfetta gt” thread of interest. Lots of options so good luck choosing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have recently purchased a 79 Sprint Veloce from Oregon that was sold on Bring a Trailer last November. It is met brown wig cloth interior. Like most of you that have posted I’m dropping the US bumps. I don’t like the euro bumps either so I’m going to fabricate front bumperettes that will mount where the original bumps did. Turn signals also will also be custom likely mounted behind the lower outside vents . Keep me in your posts as you build your own Alfettas 😉

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the bright trim that goes around the windows and the top of the car. It’s not going back on mine. Plus a working a/c unit compressor, plus a whole bunch of other stuff for 76 alfetta gt that’s not going back on the car.
id like to see a different engine if it’s going to be resto mod. Turbo fiat would be good but electronics will drive you crazy.
it’s gotta be turbo for modern resto mod.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would like to buy from you if you have these parts: pass side windshield wiper( must have a good plastic cap) also the thin plastic trim piece that is below the wipers on the fresh air cowl panel. Maybe some more stuff. Please contact me at : [email protected] .com and let me know you received this.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have a 78 or 79 Sport Sedan parts car. No engine or transaxle.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I purchased headlights that had the turn indicators incorporated into them. Cleaned up that detail very nicely.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Steve, this is a terrific thread. And I'm another one cheering you on for a 2 liter TS motor.

But the headliner... honestly, it IS a job for an upholstery shop. And if you provide the template and the car, sans glass, I think you'll be a lot happier with the outcome. But, are there any rips in the material? There are spray on color dyes for both cloth and vinyl... and that would cover any stains.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Steve, this is a terrific thread. And I'm another one cheering you on for a 2 liter TS motor.

But the headliner... honestly, it IS a job for an upholstery shop. And if you provide the template and the car, sans glass, I think you'll be a lot happier with the outcome. But, are there any rips in the material? There are spray on color dyes for both cloth and vinyl... and that would cover any stains.
I agree, dying it with SEM paint or dye would be the easiest option. Or you might call Guys Upholstery and ask what it would cost to replace. The snakebite material is available somewhere.

I'm also really looking forward to this build, not just because Steve bought my parts car. I had to sell a 76 GT with the cool door panels when I moved to Germany. As much as I love my new GTV6 I have wanted to build a hot Fetta myself for years.

My buddy Kelly did a twinspark conversion into a spider. Let's talk if you get serious, I might be able to help with importing.

Ciao!
Ian

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I purchased headlights that had the turn indicators incorporated into them. Cleaned up that detail very nicely.
Horsewidower - first of all - love the name! There's a story in there somewhere.
Second, i'm very interested in your setup - I have experimented with some small, multi-brightness LED setups in the front, but would ultimately prefer your approach. Can you give me any insight on what you used and where you sourced them? Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yes! I saw those and was wondering about them. Can you adequately see the turn signal when the headlight is on? That was my main question... I know they come in the smaller size also... pretty cool, I say!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Yes! I saw those and was wondering about them. Can you adequately see the turn signal when the headlight is on? That was my main question... I know they come in the smaller size also... pretty cool, I say!
Yeah. You can see it fine.

I have them in my Spider. 7". Did you see smaller ones? They would be great on my Sport Sedan.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts