Alfa Romeo Forums banner

76 Alfetta GT Resto-Mod - A New Hope

96K views 483 replies 64 participants last post by  Alfasteve91 
#1 ·
Hello All - I'm going to start the slow and hopefully steady log of my 76 GT project. Bought the car a few months ago from southern Oregon. My goal is to update and modernize it - sorry, purists, but it won't be a restore-to-original. As much as possible, i'm going to envision what an Alfetta might be like if it was built today, but still as a "somewhat" lightweight, minimal-frills sports GT. I admire all those that undertake full restorations, and have looked in awe at your threads/discussions. That's not me - i've owned two of these beauties in the past, and have always thought "what if?" Well, what-if is now.

So, lots of good and bad on this car - first the good. It's a California '76 and the rust is very minimal - even in the typical places. The PO bought it as a teen (parents owned body shop) and owned it for 17 years, and kept it indoors, driving it minimally, and not at all while on an extended tour of duty in the Service. He fixed the bad stuff and sprayed the entire car in primer. The mileage says 87k, and based on what I know, it could be real (no turnover). So, it is a great place to start. It has A/C (non-working now), which was a requirement for me and Mrs.D. And, it has a new clutch, T/O and Clutch MC. And the door panels - front and back - are those cool (and heavy) pressed-box style pieces, and in very good shape.

Now the bad - most everything mechanical. Gas in the oil. Toasted radiator. Non-existent syncros. But that's all OK, as i'm planning to re-build almost everything my way. Update engine and transaxle. New A/C (prob. Vintage Air). And will most likely seriously update the interior. Seats are now upholstered in designer duct tape. Dash is more cracks than flat. And finally, there has been a lot of creative wire-cutting and vacuum-hose plugging. Previous Owners just cut out the CA Smog stuff and plugged (or didn't plug) the vacuum hoses.

And the suspension - having read the bb considerably, and having consulted one of my "transaxle guru's" Brian Shorey, i decided to find an early GTV6 and cannibalize the suspension. And I found the suspension attached to an '84 GTV6 that Ian Lomax (another source of wisdom) wanted to sell. So, I have lots of great starting points for this project.

My goal is to paint it black (sorry, again) and make it as clean as possible - in lines, form and function. There's pics below that show something like my vision. I love the simplicity of line of the Alfetta, which is why I didn't start with a GTV6.

I'm getting into this with enough knowledge and skills to handle the basics, and enough humility to ask LOTS of questions. At this point, i've yanked out most of the easy stuff. Now "this is where the fun begins." Thanks in advance for all your help, and I'll try to keep this alive and frequently updated over the next few years. Let the journey begin...

Starting point

And the donor car - my shop in the background with the Alfetta inside. And then all three Alfa's happily ensconced in the shop for the Oregon winter to come... You can see that i've started stripping stuff off the Alfetta already...

And finally, some of my visions of the future... imagine the Alfetta lines instead of the GTV6 bulges and bumpers, and you get the idea...

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome. I like your plans.
I recently sold my 1975 GT (RHD), so I’m sure I’ll shed a little tear every time you provide an update. Interested to see that Alfa had already moved from in-floor fuel tank and under-hood battery locations (which my car had) as early as 76.

#5 ·
Please don't go bumperless.
The Euro bumpers might have too much of a vintage look for what you are trying to accomplish.
The Zender bumpers (mocked up on my Alfetta over the Euro bumpers) have a more modern look.
If I put the Zenders on my GTV6, I will cut off the kickup on the rear of the front bumper; looks goofy.
The 15" wheels make the car look more modern than my older 14" wheels. Sixteens can work too, but I think 17" are too much.

#6 ·
Please don't go bumperless.
Tom, thanks for your thoughts... really appreciate any and all suggestions! I have yet to find a bumper solution that I like... I am leaning toward bumper-less, especially in front... May stay with the Euro in back. Where I live, I’m exempt from any safety or smog checks, so I’m free to use an off-the-shelf solution, nothing at all, or something custom-fabricated. I can’t imagine that Giugiaro included bumpers in his original sketches, but would be cool to see his vision before the safety-people had their way. One thing for sure... the USA bumpers are NOT going back on!

#8 ·
Sounds like fun, vintage air is a very good idea. Black looks great on the alfetta ( I have a black 79 Mille miglia ). I suggest retaining the chrome window trim, it really helps show the body lines with a dark color

Reactions: OzAlfie116
#9 ·
Drop a TwinSpark from a European 75 in it if you can find one.
They're a direct fit as the motor mounts, exhaust and driveshaft all line up.
I drove Alfetta GTs for years and years and thoroughly enjoyed them.
They're cool looking, fun to drive, relatively easy to work on and aren't hard on your wallet.
Good luck with your project.

#10 ·
Thanks, all! Keep them coming! Alfavulcan - you are so right! The chrome strips really help break up the black. 1978alfa - would love to do that, but i need to find one and afford one! Not sure I can do that on my "allowance". But i will keep an eye out.

All - i'll be (frequently, probably) including posts called "Battlefield Lessons" to share some experiences and learnings, for those - like me - who are undertaking this as relative newbies. Stay tuned.

#12 ·
Updates from the front...

Much of the engine ancillaries and most of the interior have been removed... still am not finding any significant rust, even under the drivers seat. The insulating stuff didn’t come out without a fight, so all of that will need replacing. Stuff in the engine bay has come out much easier than expected... again, a testament to the lack of rust/rot. Have found some long-abandoned mouse condo’s, however!
Next step is taking out the wiring harness...

#13 ·
Battlefield Lessons - Trust No Nut!

I'm going to start with an obvious-to-many lesson. Make a can of Rust Releaser (available from WD-40 and others) your best friend. Every nut and bolt - especially nuts that are screwed onto a welded thread - should be sprayed. Then, after waiting 10-15 minutes, carefully start unscrewing. When (not if) you inevitably break off a welded thread, take a pic of where it was. I broke off one of the threaded rods that attached the HVAC unit to the chassis. I'll need to weld a replacement back on, as the unit is too heavy to be held on with just three nuts.

#14 ·
Name This Part - Please!

It's a new game that will, undoubtedly, be played again in this process! Can someone tell me what this is, as well as what it should be doing? Clearly, there is a fuse holder here, and the black wires on the left attach to the wiring harness. The silver, sheathed wire goes out to the engine compartment and down the firewall somewhere... to ground? This part is located under the dash on the passenger side - the two relays below it are for the A/C. Any help here?

#15 ·
That fuse holder appears to be for the old AGC type glass tube fuse. I cannot say if that style fuse ever was used anywhere on the Alfettas, though. Maybe part of an aftermarket alarm or immobilizer?

#18 ·
Thanks! Makes sense as the braided line goes down the firewall and disappears below. And it’s on the same mounting plate as the A/C relays, so it was added as a US/California extra. Why would it be fused? Does the dash light go on when the fuse blows? One way or the other, it’s a goner... no need for a cat here in central Oregon!

#20 ·
I've been contemplating what to do with the front bumper for the better part of a year. I shortened the mounts and sucked in the rear bumper, but it could still use some fettling.

I think I'll try cutting down and sucking in the front bumper (currently driving bumperless) or make a much more diminutive aluminum copy and mounting it. Given the lines on the GTV6, something needs to unify the front end.

#64 ·
I've been contemplating what to do with the front bumper for the better part of a year. I shortened the mounts and sucked in the rear bumper, but it could still use some fettling.

I think I'll try cutting down and sucking in the front bumper (currently driving bumperless) or make a much more diminutive aluminum copy and mounting it. Given the lines on the GTV6, something needs to unify the front end.
Took my bumpers off completely

Attachments

#21 ·
Cool Thread, and kind of the same direction I'll head in once I build a real garage and get my '75 Alfetta GT out of the shed thing I've got now. My upgrades are going to come mostly from the '84 GTV 6 I had to cut up from rust (too far gone to salvage). Part of me wants to use or make something similar to the split bumpers from the early X1/9s. And I'm fully planning on using the sort-of trapezoidal side mirrors from the late 105/115 cars - much more appropriate for the Alfetta lines than the round ones that came stock or the giant powered GTV 6 mirrors.

#22 ·
Alfasteve91 -- I live in SW Portland (Oregon). I have a '76 Alfetta that I'm parting out, as I'm planning to use the suspension and drive train for a aluminum bodied recreation of a 50's Alfa racing vehicle. So if you need any parts just let me know. Hood and doors look solid; too bad the rockers are starting to rust out. Any other sheet metal could be cut out/off (except the roof top, that is spoken for). I also have front turn signals/bezels, bumpers, all glass (except the windshield), power antenna, rear seat, side marker lights, seat belts, and lots of other bits and bobs. PM me with questions, or you can see the car on Portland Craigslist. Happy Holidays,

#24 ·
I have the bright trim that goes around the windows and the top of the car. It’s not going back on mine. Plus a working a/c unit compressor, plus a whole bunch of other stuff for 76 alfetta gt that’s not going back on the car.
id like to see a different engine if it’s going to be resto mod. Turbo fiat would be good but electronics will drive you crazy.
it’s gotta be turbo for modern resto mod.

#30 ·
I have the bright trim that goes around the windows and the top of the car. It’s not going back on mine. Plus a working a/c unit compressor, plus a whole bunch of other stuff for 76 alfetta gt that’s not going back on the car.
id like to see a different engine if it’s going to be resto mod. Turbo fiat would be good but electronics will drive you crazy.
it’s gotta be turbo for modern resto mod.

#25 ·
Good Progress today! Finished taking the wiring harness out, as well as the front-to-back wiring and the rear lights harness. Marked everything with "little blue tape". Also, got the wheel hub and the turn/lights/wiper assembly off. Fortunately, the PO had replaced the stock wheel, so the replacement hub came right off with some WD-40 releaser and a few knocks from a hammer.

Also, I removed all the original fuzzy insulation that would come out easily. There's still lots of the stuff everywhere, stuck to everything. I'm going to get a hard-bristle brush (not metal) that I can put on my drill and see if that will remove all the fuzz. Still contemplating what to do with/to the factory sludgy stuff that is applied directly on the floorboards. I've read how fun it is to take off, so am contemplating leaving it. Amazingly, I still find absolutely no rust, so I'm starting to worry less about completely stripping the cabin down to bare metal. I'll still coat it and paint it - don't want it to be red any longer.

Finally, I decided to really take the plunge and remove/replace the headliner. Yes, I started this before I read anything on the bb about how fun it is... and i can only imagine. I've found the little metal wires that run across the cabin and give the headliner tension, but not yet sure how to remove them (will create a separate thread, but post the answer here also...). I can't imagine putting all this work into the car, and leaving the headliner as-is. Open to suggestions as to how to change it, or use stock material. Any ideas?

Oh, and by the way... thanks to those of you that have succeeded in getting me obsessed over a Twin-Spark! Mrs. D would like to talk with each and every one of you...

All wires gone except for the ones that go up to the cabin lights - I'll get those when I do the headliner.

Here's the start of the headliner removal. It's pulling away from the metal easily - have yet to tear it. My intent (naively, i'm sure) is to take it out in one piece to use as a template for the replacement.

#26 ·
Hey Alfa Steve

Are you going to keep the Alfetta 4 bolt wheel pattern or switch to the 5 bolt GTV6/Milano/164 pattern ? If you want to go with 5 bolt you can transfer the front and rear hubs from the GTV6 to the Alfetta.

If you switch the whole front spindle you can use the fancy Brembo calipers and the vented rotors that come with the GTV6. Extremely earlier Alfettas came with 27mm spindle. After 1976 the spindle was increased in diameter to 29mm and they stayed like that until the end of production.

From the centerline Website

Seal Front Wheel 1976+ Alfetta, GTV/6, Milano
Front wheel seal for Alfetta late 1976-79, GTV/6 and Milano (All) 1981-89. Fits cars with 29mm spindles.

Part #OS524
Seal Front Wheel Alfetta 1975
Front wheel seal for 1975 and some early 1976 Alfettas with 27mm spindle.

Take a picture of your rear guibo and post it please. The Alfetta went through several guibo designs and a US Government recall.

Also do you have the Alfetta and GTV6 parts books ? They're on the OKP website. You definitely need them.

#27 ·
Are you going to keep the Alfetta 4 bolt wheel pattern or switch to the 5 bolt GTV6/Milano/164 pattern ? If you want to go with 5 bolt you can transfer the front and rear hubs from the GTV6 to the Alfetta.
This is why I love this place! Thanks for the input, Milanoguy - I know that I will be using your help more as I progress!

My intent is to swap everything from my '84 GTV6 parts car into the Alfetta, so I get the 5-bolts and the ventilated brakes/brembos. Same with the back - as much of a full swap as possible. I plan to keep the Alfetta transaxle, however, unless I get otherwise advice. I've yet to tear into the suspension - working on the interior clean-out first, followed by removing the engine for a fairly complete re-build. Thrn, depending on transaxle advice, i'll either re-build the Alfetta T/A, or swap in the GTV6 one, although I seem to have read that there are some watch-outs with this... While the engine/interior/transaxle is out, i'll have the car painted (up, down, in, out). Then, i'll start on the suspension swap.

I've been living on-line, and have spent lots of time at OKP, but didn't see the parts books - thanks, again, sir!

Thoughts...? Anyone...?

When I start on the drivetrain, i'll start posting pictures of underneath. I've heard that the best (only?) way to determine which guibo's to use is to look at what was there...

BTW - I've just spent the last few hours on the bb looking for some definitive instructions on headliner replacement, and so far, all I can find is "take it to an upholstery shop". It appears that I've crossed over into the land of "don't try this at home." Trying to keep these moments at a minimum - not because I can't afford it (OK, a little of that) but more because I really want to do most of this myself, over 2-4 years.

#28 ·
Found an old “engine transplants alfetta gt” thread of interest. Lots of options so good luck choosing.

#29 ·
I also have recently purchased a 79 Sprint Veloce from Oregon that was sold on Bring a Trailer last November. It is met brown wig cloth interior. Like most of you that have posted I’m dropping the US bumps. I don’t like the euro bumps either so I’m going to fabricate front bumperettes that will mount where the original bumps did. Turn signals also will also be custom likely mounted behind the lower outside vents . Keep me in your posts as you build your own Alfettas ?

#31 ·
I would like to buy from you if you have these parts: pass side windshield wiper( must have a good plastic cap) also the thin plastic trim piece that is below the wipers on the fresh air cowl panel. Maybe some more stuff. Please contact me at : neffr554@gmail .com and let me know you received this.