Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a 76 Alfetta GT it has been sitting for at least two years and is completely original. I had it tow to my house when I got it to my house I drain the fuel tank change the spark plugs and spark plug wires and inspected the rotor and cap. I put new fuel in it and charge the battery.
To my surprised it started right up I drove it around my neighborhood a couple of times, it started four different times. I turned it off to do a compression test which was good it had 130 in three cylinders and 125 in one. I put it back together and now it won't start I have checked the ignition system and it seems to be working properly. When I try to start it floods out very rapidly I have token the spark plugs off and they are soaking wet.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on what I should look at next.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Sure you put the wires on correctly. If it started before it's not the FI. If you start messing with that it'll get you into more trouble.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have triple checked that, it was what I thought first too

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,768 Posts
Spica injection will flood the car on a hot start if not set up correctly. The workaround is to remove the wire from the cold start solenoid and try again.

In the meantime pull all the plugs, dry them and clean them off and let the fuel evaporate.

Have you owned a SPICA Alfa before? If not pick up the Wes Ingram book on setting it up and try adjusting the cold start solenoid. Don't start messing with it until you have good instructions, and understand how adjusting one area affects the others.

Good luck! What color is the 'Fetta?

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
There two solenoids on the SPICA pump. The rearmost one is the cold start solenoid, and this has been known to stick and cause flooding. Pull the wire off this solenoid, clean the spark plugs, and see if the car starts. Or, maybe give the solenoid a tap with a hammer (tap, not big knock). The long-term solution is to buy Wes Ingram's SPICA manual and learn how to trouble shoot and adjust the FI system. While there are differing opinions over SPICA vs Webers, those of us who like and understand the SPICA system are very satisfied.

So I just got a 76 Alfetta GT it has been sitting for at least two years and is completely original. I had it tow to my house when I got it to my house I drain the fuel tank change the spark plugs and spark plug wires and inspected the rotor and cap. I put new fuel in it and charge the battery.
To my surprised it started right up I drove it around my neighborhood a couple of times, it started four different times. I turned it off to do a compression test which was good it had 130 in three cylinders and 125 in one. I put it back together and now it won't start I have checked the ignition system and it seems to be working properly. When I try to start it floods out very rapidly I have token the spark plugs off and they are soaking wet.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on what I should look at next.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info and I will try all suggestions, I have one of Ingram's SPICA books on it's way.
Attach photo is when I pick it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Are you getting spark? Did you mark the plug wires before you disconnected them, or were they cut to length so they could not be confused?

Is the fuel low pressure light working normally, i.e. it comes on for a second or two when you first turn the keys switch on, then goes out and stays out?

When the engine was warmed up, did the pump gap go to .019" or less, indicating that the Thermostatic Actuator is working correctly?

If you're positive that the ignition system is timed correctly and is getting spark, try using some ether starting fluid on a cold start and see if the engine fires that way.

Unfortunately, letting a fuel injection system sit derelict for two years is very bad for it.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,768 Posts
Nice, looks like one that got away from me when I was 19, and just smart enough to know I couldn't afford a $500 Alfa with a bad clutch. Not smart enough to stay away from a non-running spider unfortunately!

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
As said, first thing I'd do is pull the cold start wire and crank with the pedal on the floor - won't cost you anything and it just might work. SPICA with a worn out or maladjusted thermostatic actuator will flood like that. Just make sure the end of the wire ain't touching any metal as it will have 12 volts on it while cranking (ask me how I know)

I once had a $400 Alfetta Sprint Veloce and I really loved that car. Used it as a daily commuter for about 8 years. Mine was a 79 so was sort of gutless but it still was a whole lot of fun and never let me down.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info I got the Wes Ingram's SPICA manual and I figured it out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts