Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have the manual. ach-to-libre I have the no vacuum model. The advance curve for the #1 curve is MAP start 1500, P1= 0, P2= 18 and 9.2, P3= 45 and 9.4, noP4 or P5.
123 was programed with two curves. The second was for high compression motors, P1 500rpm @ 6 degrees, P2 1000 rpm @ 11, P3 1500rpm @ 20, P4 3000rpm @33, and P5 4200 rpm @ 35. with MAP start 1500, P1= 0, P2= 16 and 0.4, P3= 30 and 10.0, P4= 50 and 10.0, P5= 87 and 0.0
P.S it's all Greek to me! I was told by the supplier that the curves were suggested as a starting point form Wes Ingram. I don't know if it's true and hate to put his name on it.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,537 Posts
Okay, ignore the #2 curve: unless you have the yellow wire grounded, it doesn't do anything. Also ignore the MAP curves: those are for the manifold pressure, and if you have no vacuum port then they don't do anything either. In fact I would zero out all the vacuum advance values to keep things simple.

The #2 curve is definitely an Alfa curve, though more aggressive than what I posted above. What is the #1 centrifugal advance curve for advance vs. RPM? That's all you need to care about: I think you only listed the #2 curve above.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm sorry, I do have the vacuum model. But I have the carb connection plugged off. I think at one time it was told it was not needed.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,537 Posts
Well, it's not needed, but if you can hook it up it's good: vacuum advance helps with fuel economy and with part-throttle responsiveness. But the car will run fine without it so let's not complicate things: leave the vacuum curves in the distributor and once it's running well you can think about hooking up the vacuum line later. The MAP curves won't do anything if the vacuum line is disconnected.

Go and double-check the #1 centrifugal advance curve and post it here. It sounds like whoever you bought your distributor from set it up for an Alfa so it's probably okay, but just check it so you can cross it off the list.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,537 Posts
For reference, here is what I am running on my 1974 GTV (which has a 2L with Dellortos like yours.) These are from the mobile app but the PC app looks similar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think I sound like an air-head.
The distributor has a brass stem coming out but no diaphragm device.
I'll use your setup.
My last motor work was on a 322 ci Cadillac flat-head. It was alot simpler.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,537 Posts
The brass stem is the vacuum port. There's no diaphragm device: there's an internal pressure sensor. You just hook that hose up to manifold vacuum: on the Alfetta engine there's typically a brass port on the #1 intake runner that works perfectly.

I'm going to speculate that your curves are probably okay as-is and most of the problem was the carb jetting and/or fuel pressure.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts