Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

Is there a suitable Bosch distributor that I can use in my 750D in place of the Lucas DM2?

The Lucas distributor that I have requires rebuilding and recalibrating and before embarking on this I wondered whether it might be better to convert to a Bosch distributor as Bosch parts might be easier to source.

Chris

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I used a Bosch distributor from a 105 GTV. I did not have the advance curve changed and drove my 1957 Spider for more than 70,000 miles. I plugged the vacuum advance port in the intake manifold. I sold the car in 1989 and gave the owner the old Lucas distributor, Lucas coil and Solex carburetor.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I recently received a new Bosch points distributor for my 4 cylinder Alfa by mistake. This unit cost $275.00 from an Alfa parts dealer. This distributor looks (externally) identical to the Bosch distributor in any VW Beetle aftermarket catalog for $45.00. Is this crazy mark-up or am I missing something. I doubt that neither unit is made in Germany and the VW unit would probably not work in an Alfa engine. DC

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used a Bosch distributor from a 105 GTV. I did not have the advance curve changed and drove my 1957 Spider for more than 70,000 miles. I plugged the vacuum advance port in the intake manifold.
Thanks - I thought as much.

I take it then that the units are physically compatible, that is, I don't have to modify the housings etc.

I was also thinking of using a mechanical advance unit and plugging/blanking the vacuum port on the manifold.

Chris

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,505 Posts
If you're going to go unoriginal anyway, I'd suggest the 123Ignition distributor. It's pretty awesome. The Tune version is fully programmable and even has vacuum advance.

Put the Lucas on the shelf and save it for the future.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're going to go unoriginal anyway, I'd suggest the 123Ignition distributor. It's pretty awesome. The Tune version is fully programmable and even has vacuum advance.

Put the Lucas on the shelf and save it for the future.
I may even do this as I have 123s in both my 105 Alfa and Bambino Fiat and have been very impressed with them.

I'll have a look on the 123 website and see which one is suitable for a standard 1300 750D engine.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts