Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Can someone please tell me the correct finish for the glove box interior on a 58 giulietta sprint? If it is covered in vinyl, could it be possible to have had a non black finish. I.e. Black car/ Red seats or carpet, and red glove box interior???
Grazie

·
Registered
690 Posts
In my giulietta ss the inside of the glove box is covered with red vinyl which had been painted black!
I assume this was factory original, because it was a sloppy job

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
Bertone used vinyl.. Spiders were flocked or for the practical applicatiions that last forever a black velvet that holds adhesive and takes more wear. Flocking holds us in a show room but is quite fragile and marks easily. The purists will blanche at the thought. Color? I can't remember . My SZ was grey.. Sprint? but it was vinyl. There was some thin foam that turned to mush too about 1/8".

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 750B is an early 58, (1493-6337). The glove box was lined with the same dark blue vinyl as the seat base and backs and the accents on the door panels.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I have a 1961 Sprint Veloce and the glove box was covered with the same blue vinyl that was used on seats, side panels, etc.

·
Administrator
4,383 Posts
Yes, vinyl covered & matching to the darker colour on the rest of the trim.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mille grazie.... everyone!

Brad, my car is 6335... 50,000 miles. Black with what I am thinking will be two tone grey. Mr Fazio, did not include an interior color with the documentation he sent.
Ric

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I have a gardenia white body color with a gray cloth and blue vinyl interior. I have a friend who has a red body color with a gray cloth and black vinyl interior. I have another friend with a red body color with a gray cloth and red vinyl interior. The cars are two 101 Sprint Veloces and one 101 SS. I had original interior with gray cloth and dark blue vinyl. The glove compartment was covered with the same dark blue vinyl. The gray cloth is woven with white thread and gray thread and has a two tone appearance.

·
Administrator
4,383 Posts
During '58, Alfa & Bertone were experimenting on how to liven up the ageing Series I Sprints, the 6" to 7" headlight change happened from the beginning of '58 to Normale & Veloce alike. The body colour whisker in the air collector gained a thin chrome strip on its leading edge.

The biggest visible change - at least for the driver, was that Alfa went to vinyl/vinyl interiors (away from the vinyl & stripy cloth in the earlier 750 Sprints). These new vinyl/vinyl (vipla/vipla in Italian) interiors also broke away from the traditional colour schemes that were used on the earlier cars and then were repeated on the later cars.

Red, Beige Banana, Chinese Yellow (Giallo Cina) & Spanish White (Bianco Spagna) cars now got red & black vinyl/vinyl interiors

White & Grey cars got blue & white vinyl/vinyl interiors

Unfortunately I've yet to find a black '58 with original interior, but logic says the light grey would have been paired with white vinyl.

These vinyl/vinyl combinations were used throughout '58 and made the transition into the new Interim Series II cars, by '59 Alfa & Bertone had reverted back to the previous colour combinations and went back to vinyl/cloth. The stripy 750 cloth was finally replaced by the speckled Sal-e-Pepe (salt & pepper) 101 type cloth during 1960.

As always, the only constant with Alfa was change & cars were still fitted with vinyl/cloth during '58 and also with vinyl/vinyl after '58, but these were in the minority during these periods.

Last note - 750 & 101 interiors are NOT the same, different seat construction, different seat cover patterns, different cloth, different door panels with different patterns.

Ric I've sent you a PM, I've got lots of archived stuff on the '58 Series I Normale's for you.

Ciao
Greig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts