Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Geez, I must have read 200 postings, and I know even less now.
I have a perfectly fine (stock) exhaust system, but it just doesn't sound like the Alfas I have owned in the past - missing that "rasp". But I don't want it to be loud enough to irk my neighbors. I have not been able to find a sport exhaust system for it anywhere. Any ideas ?
Thanks,

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I have a 1961 Sprint Veloce and the exhaust is stock, but loud. I also owned a 1957 Spider Normale, and the exhaust was stock, but very quiet. You can put an Anza exhaust rear muffler to increase the exhaust noise, but I think that Normale cars should be left stock and nice to drive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bob, my 2L Alfa had an expansion chamber between the header and the Ansa muffler and had an incredible Formula one howl. I put the same engine in a Giulietta sprint and eliminated the expansion chamber and now the induction makes more sound output than the exhaust. I removed the single Ansa muffler and discovered that it was a straight through muffler with no baffles, just perforations surounded with insulation. I installed a stainless steel Borla straight through muffler and it is very quiet. I believe that the small expansion chamber allows for resonance to create that great sound. Some Japanese tuner cars use a large expansion chamber with a similar effect. Dennie

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys, for the comments. Still hoping to find an aftermarket performance system for the Sprint.
But it looks like i'll have to do some fabrication.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts