Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
papajam, or anyone else familiar with 750 Spider park mode for their windshield wiper motor - I need help. I have checked the shop manual and it has information for three different wiper motors, but none - that I can see - are this Lucas.

I'll add that I'm bench testing so please, no going over which color of wire goes where.

As you can see, it does not have the circular brass parking plate. I'll add here (I have both a '62 transition 102 and '58 750 Spider in the shop). Without too much work I got the 102 unit working 'well' and parking. When I connect the -- to #1and + to #2 nothing happens. But once I connect a additional wire on #1 and ground it, the motor runs and when removing the ground wire, it stops and parks just fine. I'm a bit concerned that the rotation isn't enough, so I need to dig into that.

I want to add that the internal brass plate is insulated from the cap so that the wire coming from #1 isn't always on - which to me is the only way it can work.

However arm B on the 750's has a direct connection to the 750's park arm - which logically makes it run once #1 and #2 are connected. Removing the #1 wire, then grounding it does nothing. It only stops the motor from running without parking. I can only assume that the wiring is different for this model of Lucas motor and gearbox - but I can't think of any other way to wire this set-up. I could insulate the park arm, but have to believe it actually worked...apparently by magic. Since the wire from #1 is internal within the motor and goes directly to the park mode unit/parking arm it is definitely always hot.

I replaced part 2 and part 5, cleaned everything up replaced two part, but it is obvious the way the two rivets goes through the entire stack it has no choice of not grounding. Since the holes are larger on part 3, which the wire attaches to, I wondered if making sure it wasn't touching the two rivets 'might' do 'something'. It couldn't of course since the end of the arm is always in contact with part 1.

If anyone has gone through these earlier wiper motor set-ups with success, please tell me where Im going wrong.

On another note there is a sound when the motor runs which sounds like saying 'clock'. The arm that attaches to the wiper 'drivers' moves around. Nothing inside the gear box appears to be 'out of place'. There is an adjusting screw on the outside which goes to the end of the motor's worm gear end. The 102's adjuster was touching the end of the worm gear so I did the same with the 750's, but there was no difference.

Again, any thoughts/ideas in this area would also be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone here with a Normale 750 Spider?

I've had two Veloce 750 Spiders in the shop, so not knowledgeable regarding upside down contacts. Meaning positive ground.

Does that mean that any red wire is a ground? The motor in question had red wire on #2, green on #1, and black on ground.

So this means either the ground is hot or else the #2 red wire IS hot, which would mean the color of all of the wiring IS back-words?

However...when bench testing I'm treating this unit as a normal hot #2, etc. Is this my problem?

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Anyone here with a Normale 750 Spider?

I've had two Veloce 750 Spiders in the shop, so not knowledgeable regarding upside down contacts. Meaning positive ground.

Does that mean that any red wire is a ground? The motor in question had red wire on #2, green on #1, and black on ground.

So this means either the ground is hot or else the #2 red wire IS hot, which would mean the color of all of the wiring IS back-words?

However...when bench testing I'm treating this unit as a normal hot #2, etc. Is this my problem?
Try here Biba,

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulietta-giulia-1954-65/181027-lucas-wiper-motor-folly.html

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Let me run this by you. The comment made in the second sentence below was - I think - helpful. The only way I see this working is if the internal tab #3 whose wire is connected internally to the motor's #1wire is isolated. The idea being that the upper tab #1 will be pushed down contacting the #3 tab, very theoretically parking the motor.

The flaw of course is once the ground switch is closed, the #1 tab might not be anywhere near to the center 'button' so that the two tabs are not touching, so no parking.

The alternative is to have the #3 tab hot and I can assure you that the motor will keep running, and once the switch is closed, wherever the wipers are, that is where they'll park - most likely in the center of the windshield.

To repeat, the brass plate with the roughly 30 degrees of cardboard and the pointer on the top of the gears off-center dome, is a no-brainer. If not landing on the cardboard (wiper arms in parked position) when the switch is closed, it can then run until it gets to the cardboard.

Anyone want to sell me their brass type 'cup' along with the pointer?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After stacking the five parts correctly and making sure the hot one is isolated when the copper lifts up, it then parks.

I'm testing with a battery charger, but I get a big spark both when I ground the unit to park, but also when I'm installing the #1 ground with the ground connected to the charger.

The 102 unit didn't spark when testing it in the same way, same set-up.

I'm concerned when the wiper is installed and obviously under load, it is going to blow fuses left and right.

As in, the wipers now work, but don't turn them on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts