Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup - I'm here with another bonehead question. I'm clearly missing something here... I get the top out of it's hole, the two round pegs on the main part of the frame snap into their slots and hold up everything else. I place the rear cross member below the rear window into the two slots. I push up on either side of the frame to stretch it out, and it's impossible. Is it supposed to snap shut so I can then attach the two hooks to the windshield post? If I don't connect the the rear cross member, then it seems to work with the obvious shortcoming! I think it's a trees-forest thing.

Thanks!

Jim

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Alone, the top is a struggle as shown on the video. Need 4 hands!
I operate mine twice per year. Down in the spring and up in October.
Ulf

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the current state of the mechanism with the frame supported
. I can't see any other way this would work.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Backup a step .......... is this a new canvas top? A new frame to this car, taken from another car? What has changed since the last time it was up?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Backup a step .......... is this a new canvas top? A new frame to this car, taken from another car? What has changed since the last time it was up?
Old top, old frame, last up 4 years ago. The PO (wife's uncle) did it, and he's no longer around to give me a hint. I put the top down around that time and I recall having issues trying to raise the top, so I just went on to other issues.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a couple of more images. The one by the windshield shows as close as the front cross member can get to the windshield. Something is preventing it from reaching the front.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It's so easy:

Reactions: Barn101

·
Registered
780 Posts
Have you pushed the swiveling release button at the bottom of the hinge? I dropped my frame off at my top installer last month, and showed him how to use that to open it up. Sounds like the same problem you are having.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you pushed the swiveling release button at the bottom of the hinge? I dropped my frame off at my top installer last month, and showed him how to use that to open it up. Sounds like the same problem you are having.
No, when i look in that area I don't see a release button that looks pushable.

·
Registered
780 Posts
It swivels. But your last picture looks like you’re well beyond that latch helping you. I’m sure you obviously lubed it up at all of the pivot points. Have you tried it with another person yet?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It did notice this on the passenger side. This big nut is just loose.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It swivels. But your last picture looks like you’re well beyond that latch helping you. I’m sure you obviously lubed it up at all of the pivot points. Have you tried it with another person yet?
[/QUO
Trying pushing up at arrow in picture of my 750
View attachment 1661519
I do that as hard as I can but it won't raise into the same position as yours. Is it supposed to "pop" into place and hold that position until I attach to the windshield post?

Jim

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I do that as hard as I can but it won't raise into the same position as yours. Is it supposed to "pop" into place and hold that position until I attach to the windshield post?

Jim
I don't really remember having to push very hard so that it "pops" into that position. You might try getting the top good and wet to relax it. Then try again.

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
Carl's photo with the red arrow .. That lateral side when relaxed has the center pivot swiveling below horizontal as you raise the top . Just before latching the front to the windshield with one palm of the hand on the top of the front leading edge you should be able to push upward on the pivot with the other hand and it should basically overshoot the horizontal position to an over-centered lock in place like Carl's pic. In this position the top is taut and stay that way without any coaxing to stay that way and you then latch it at the windscreen. You don't want to get the order out of sequence, if that is in fact possible. It's the same principle of how an umbrella works

·
Registered
521 Posts
Looking at the photo in your post #14, you should adjust and tighten the cross tube locking nut. It’s unlikely, but possible that it is too tight and binding up the movement of the frame.

Joe

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really appreciate everyone's help. Before reading the latest today, i made a little progress. I was able to engage the latches, but i have daylight between the windshield frame and top. (see pic). I also still can't get the top to engage the side catches. will wetting the top make it a lille more pliable? I didn't know Robbins canvas tops would shrink!.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts