Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lola is topless!!.... I'm planning to put a new top on my ' 58 Giulietta spider Veloce "Lola"; questions I have:
(1).What are general opinions on the various suppliers?(has anybody used Convertible Top Guys in RI?), and
(2).Is this really something a reasonably handy guy should attempt to do himself?

:rolleyes:ok, I lied, the old top (vinyl) is really still on her (but then I just had to get your attention,didn't I?)

All opinions welcome, Thanks in advance all!

C Drake

·
Registered
156 Posts

I had a new top put on my 101 Spider and couldn't say that I'd recommend it as a DIY job unless you're very crafty and have lots of time. Alfa used a bunch of different tops and suppliers and any new top needs some custom fitting. Thus, the World Upholstery catalogue lists four different tops, depending on year of manufacture. They have installation instructions on the web:

Alfa Giulietta Giulia 750-101 convertible top instllation instructions

But check the Yahoo 750-101 group archives for information on which frame bars get glued to the top. The World instructions were not correct for the top they sent me. Upon proper installation, it fit very well, though.

Jeffrey

·
Registered
335 Posts
Make sure the top frame fits perfect and is not bent or binding. Most problems I've seen with poor fitting tops were due to bad frame fit. The tops are difficult to install correctly-nothing like doing a 105 Spider. I've seen professional shops struggle to get them on with a nice tight fit. Its best if you can find a place that has done them before.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Convertible top installation manual

I will receive my convertible top soon and in preparation I would like to know where I could find the installation manual or something similar.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
I agree with those who are trying to dissuade you from doing it yourself. I am reasonably handy so when my 60 Spider was ready for a top I gave thought to doing it myself. Fortunately, our local sports car club had an upholstery guy give a demo on top installations. A bug-eye Sprite was used as the target of the installation. It didn't take me long to get the guys business card and make an appointment to have him do it. You can't just take the new top out of the package and start the installation. There are all sorts of measurements necessary to locate the center line and other reference points. Then there is the need to stretch the material before beginning the install. And that is just the beginning.Maybe you can find a YouTube video that would give you some insight.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks but believe me I have not the intention to install the top. I will give it to an expert. Nevertheless, the expert is asking me if there is available a instruction book in pdf or similar.
Have in mind that there are not too many Giulietta Spider here.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Thanks but believe me I have not the intention to install the top. I will give it to an expert. Nevertheless, the expert is asking me if there is available a instruction book in pdf or similar.
Have in mind that there are not too many Giulietta Spider here.

Thanks.
Actually, my reply was directed to the originator of the thread but I do have a thought for you seeing that you are in Mexico City. There is another ABB member in your area. I believe he goes by Abarth750 or something like that. Maybe he has some info on installers with Alfa experience.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am still searching for a instruction manual/book to how install the convertible top in a Spider. I dont know if such document exist or is available. Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
There is a thread on the BB dated 4/29/2011 started by VANDOR. In that thread there is a reply from SAAR with a link to an installation guide. I did not follow the thread to see what the guide is like so it may be for an entirely different model. But, it may help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts