Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 58 spider with very poor doors, and it appears they had the quarter windows. Does it take much to convert them to a door without the quarter windows?. Is the window winding mechanism the same?
thank-you

·
Administrator
3,814 Posts
Hi Anthony

Quarter windows on a SWB 750 are the European Spec, as 80%+ of Spider production went to the States and Hoffman specified no quarter windows (possible cost saving), that is the predominant view of 750 Spiders we see.

We have 1495*02806, an October '57 with quarter light windows. Unfortunately our other 2 Spiders are both LWB cars so have the quarter lights as well

You will need the front window guide channel, I'm not near my Parts Manual right now, so can't answer your question about the mechanism

How bad are your doors - can you post pictures of your car ??

Here are 10990 (CHB) and 02806 (FNK)

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I think that Hoffman specified the vent window deletion because it looks better. Remember, he was the man who talked Porsche into making the Speedster, which was supposedly both cost- and appearance-driven. But, Hoffman correctly saw that Americans wanted the simple windshield look. This was best matched by deleting the vent windows on the Spider. I think that it was Hoffman, as well, who got Alfa to tart up the engine compartment with the crinkle painted valve cover and chrome plated hardware, all of which I love.

I also suspect that Hoffman was not impressed with Bertone's quality and style and, so, didn't market the Sprint with any enthusiasm. He might have been unhappy with Bertone's high costs, too.

Just my theories, mind you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know about Hoffman, but I prefer the look without quarter windows. In fact, that is what I thought I had bought.

·
Administrator
3,814 Posts
Hi Anthony

You have a European spec Spider with quarter light windows and the small Altissimo tail lights.

The quarter light windows seem to have appeared in 1957 on the SWB 750 cars & only for the Home (Italian) and European market & even then fitment wasn't standard.

I also prefer the plain non-vent window look, but the vent windows do help to keep a bit of the wind off the occupants..... Dad was very keen on a tonneau cover (re-living his MGA days) & one of our very good USA Giuliettisti friends came up with a brand new period accessory tan Tonneau - incredibly enough it was for a vent window SWB, so had been hanging around in the USA for decades before finding a European spec car owner who wanted it.

If you want to go the non-vent way, then I'm sure that one of our USA Giuliettisti can assist you with the necessary parts, or perhaps even complete doors.

Oh & please post some pictures of your Spider....

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Greig. My car came from Canada, and I am not that sure that the doors are its original. It appears that the previous owner was collecting up some parts to restore the car, IMG_3969.JPG but decided to do something else.

·
Administrator
3,814 Posts
Hi Anthony

Cars originally shipped to Canada would most likely have been the European spec with the quarter light windows. Despite being neighbours, Canada & the US had vastly different requirements and regulations.....

From keeping records, it appears that Europe, South Africa, Canada & Australia received the European spec cars....most of the time.

The USA with its Federal Laws received the USA spec of no quarter light windows & the Lucas 'football' tail lights.

Pininfarina generally stamped the body number in the lip of the door channel as well as on metal tags on the bonnet & boot lids - the actual body number is stamped on the boot floor just in front of the upright holding the boot lock. If the numbers match the last 3 digits of the boot floor number, then the closures are the originals. One caveat in that not all cars had the doors stamped, my friend's '62 which we took down to steel definitely has no door stamps, but traces or the original Graphite Grey paint under all the mechanisms match the doors to the shell.

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Hey Greig,What brought me to this post is the 59' Spider Normale 750D for sale in Mexico City that appeared here on the BB today.It has quarter windows but no fender side lights as Euro spec cars generally have,so got me wondering(looks like Antonys doesn't either)?.Talking about PF body numbers,I had heard that the doors were stamped,but didn't know where to look.So what specific door channel are you talking about,where to look;the lip/channel behind the weatherstrip,behind the door card,etc.? This interests me because my 61' spiders door has a slight crease in it,so I got a straight door to replace it.I would much rather keep the original and repair it if is numbered,as all other numbers match. Thanks,Phil

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Antony
In reply to your original query:
58 spider with very poor doors, and it appears they had the quarter windows. Does it take much to convert them to a door without the quarter window
Short of a magic wand or fairy Godmother it takes a lot of components, fettling and fitting.

750 Spiders originally fitted without fixed vent windows used a totally different A-pillar than those with the windows. The seal between the windscreen frame and door window glass is different.
The canvas soft-top fits differently above the window glass, although that can be accommodated.

Is the window winding mechanism the same?
NO - the regulator mechanism in the two doors is totally different.

And then there's the metalwork to consider .. doors from 750 Spiders are NOT guaranteed to interchange between chassis's.

If you attempt it .. it would behoove you to source complete original 750 non-vent doors but your Kiwi locus makes that a costly proposition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts