Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
12,861 Posts
Aside from dried out seals, the only failure I've seen on these old axle assemblies is a tendency for the bolts that hold the ring gear to the differential proper to work loose. If you pull the axle tubes for inspection, you would easily notice this. Though the bolts are hardened, when I found one that has loosened up, (usually all the bolts loosen some, when they do) I used to drill and safety wire them all. I guess Loctite red would work as well. The bearings seem to last forever. Gordon Raymond

·
Administrator
12,861 Posts
Ok,:rolleyes: viewed from the splined end all I've reroved came off ccw (righty tighty, lefty loosy) like everything else. Even with the special wrench, these are tight! I tap them off with a punch and small hammer, working around the roots of the teeth. You will still have to press the bearings off unless you have the Alfa bearing removal tool, and then press the new ones on. Unless you have the proper tools and knowledge, this R&R is a job for a machine shop, particularly with the cost of the 750 bearings:eek:! Shop around, try Alfa Stop in GB, and Ok parts in Germany. Unfortunately these are not as common as the 101 and later bearings, but good ones will last:).
Nice the way the canter section falls out isn't it:p? Find any loose bolts:confused:? Look carefully at the edges of the tapered carrier bearings. They will probably be ok, but ANY chipping at the edges of the rollers, or scoring of the races, indicate time for replacement;). I seldom replace these as routine, as they hold up well:cool:. Best,:D Gordon Raymond

·
Administrator
12,861 Posts
Axle whacking

Hi again Biba,
Oh yes, they do that. One of the reasons I suggested a machine shop:cool:. By holding the axle in a padded vice, one can use a impact air hammer, (like a cutter, but with a punch) and ... ahem... tap it off:). Hopefully without tapping off the little ears:mad:. The factory tool slipped over the shaft, and had a handle to... tap ... on:). Probably by now all the tools have the handle whacked to a pulp. BTW, it takes a B I G press:p. Keep me informed. I'm very interested that you are having the identical results I have always had:rolleyes:.
(P.S. in the day when available, we would split the special nut with an air chisel. No more, as the special nuts are no longer available!:eek:)

Best, :DGordon Raymond

·
Administrator
12,861 Posts
Biba,
You've got it! Anything worth while is worth EFFORT! (and persistance!)

Best, Gordon Raymond

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.