Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never rebuilt a differential - not planning on doing so now - but I'm in the process of removing a diff from a Spider.

The initial plan is to at least stop it from leaking. I gather the front seal is often the problem but this one looks as if it is also leaking from both sides of the housing and the 'oil pan'.

Obviously I can pop the oil pan off and replace the gasket - even if I have to make one. Is it safe to assume I can remove both sides and the axles will slip out AND will slid back in again without any major traumas?

My thought is to put some sealant on both sides after thoroughly cleaning the surfaces - though I suspect they're meant to be installed dry.

I believe there is a special wrench floating around to remove the front nut so the seal can be changed. If so, anyone know who the keeper of the wrench is?

The bearings sound/feel okay, but this car has sat for 20 years. Am I foolish to not take it completely down and check everything? If so, who do you recommend in the So. Cal. area to do this?

Any answers, thoughts, or opinions are most welcome,

Biba

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which direction to unscrew the outer end bearing retainers? I gather it is clockwise viewing it from the splined end looking down.

Thanks for all of the good information. Bolts, which were held on by bent tabs were all tight. Yes, it does apear as if there originally was a light smear of sealant.

To show my ignorance about diffs, didn't realize the ring gear just falls out after removing the left axle housing.

Unfortunately both of the very expensive outer bearings need replacing, so do need to get the retainers off. There's a large bearing, etc, place not far so will see if they can get me the bearings for (hopeully considerably) less than the $113 ea. going rate.

Biba

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Small hammer???? I'm using a five pound hammer and large screwdriver and neither axle is budging. True, I've been confusing the 'poor' retainer by trying to undo it in either direction, but having put a blob of White-Out on the edge to see if I've budged it at least a tiny bit - there is no indication this miracle has taken place. Did put some heat on it and was amazed to see some oil come out. Where did it find the room? Yes, all tabs are bent back (out of the way).

I'm pretty aware of the (righty tighty, lefty loosy) slogan, but know on later Alfas one side is cw undo.

Is it safe to assume the proper Alfa tool has really long 'legs'?

I have a small press but can't imagine how to go about pressing them off.

So glad it isn't my car. I couldn't afford to be doing this.

Thanks much for this quick info.

Biba

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gordon, you are a prince among princes (or however the expression goes). As of now I have both bearing retainers off and a date with my machinest tomorrow to (fingers crossed) remove the bearings. Sure helps to know which way is 'undo'. I switched from very sturdy plastic handled screwdriver to hunky (fairly dull) chisel to get the retainer off. The force needed was such that the hammer blow needed something which would in turn amplify the blow. Make sense? The plastic on the screwdriver softened the blow.

I actually took the time to square off the rounded edges of the retainers that previous mechanic inflicted with a large punch. I slightly undercut an edge on each retainer using the large chisel.

I'll keep you informed as to how everything goes.

Hey it's only time...and money.

Biba

1 - 4 of 4 Posts