Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys,
I tried to figure this out by reading previous posts etc but there seem to have been enough variations that I figured i'd better ask.
car is a '57 750 abnormale:

-the choke knob is located under the dash to the right of the steering column but I saw posts stating that it supposed to be a fresh-air inlet control (later cars maybe?) while my car has a hand-lever at the inlet - is that correct?

-where can I buy a new cable for the hand-throttle?

-windshield hand-pump location? (car did not have any pump when I got it but there is no mounting for the foot-pump but I do have a hand-pump)

-the replacement choke knob / cable is made of a very stiff un-sheathed steel wire which does not allow for an easy routing to my carbs- ideas?

as usual, thanks for replies.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Swerve,

The knob control layout is:headlamps, choke, manual throttle, heater/fan control left to right. Early sprints with manual hand operated windshield washer pumps were mounted on a small metal tab that was welded to the right side of the archway in the dash that allows the steering column to pass through. It sounds like that is where your choke is currently mounted. The correct type of choke "cable", is in fact a solid tempered wire housed in a belden spiral wound housing. You can purchase new belden cable stock, some with teflon liners, but most are standard, not metric. The non metric cable is problematic in connecting /reattaching to the knobs and there related parts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thank you for chiming-in.
I suspected the choke was going on the dash but i found some info here on abb that the tab you refer to, currently housing my choke actuator, is the spot for the heater knob. is it possible the hand-pump resides elsewhere?
thanks again!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I used to own a 1957 Spider and restored the car years ago. The knob next to the steering wheel is used to open the air inlet for the heater. There are four knobs on the dash. The knobs from left to right are as follows: left most knob is for the headlights, next knob is for the accelerator, next knob is for the choke and the right most knob is for the heater fan. My car did not have a hand pump for the windshield washer and must have had the foot pump. The accelerator cable can be replaced with a choke cable, but the mechanism has to work before you replace the cable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's no "hand or foot pump" on this car unless improvised. If you had one, I 'm curious where the spritzing would spritz from.. nahda .. zilch
I don't quite understand where you are going with this- my car has two little spray nozzles installed ahead of the windshield- they might not be 'factory', something I am not about to dismiss, neverless I am not going to leave two empty holes in the sheetmetal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I used to own a 1957 Spider and restored the car years ago. The knob next to the steering wheel is used to open the air inlet for the heater. There are four knobs on the dash. The knobs from left to right are as follows: left most knob is for the headlights, next knob is for the accelerator, next knob is for the choke and the right most knob is for the heater fan. My car did not have a hand pump for the windshield washer and must have had the foot pump. The accelerator cable can be replaced with a choke cable, but the mechanism has to work before you replace the cable.
thank you, the adjustor works fine I just can't find the cable, might resort to fabrication as you suggest.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you all for your help and clarifying the information- it was very helpful as usual, i think i have all the info to complete the task.
take care.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts