Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When did the change from a curved to straight gear shift lever on Tunnel case transmission take place?
Ulf

·
Administrator
3,901 Posts
The '56 cars used the bent ones and pics of the '57 cars show the straight one, the earliest '57 Veloce I have on file is E03559 which had a very original interior when found and it has the straight lever - birth date 15 Jan '57

I anyone is looking, I have one of the '56 style bent ones left in fresh chrome from a batch we made as I couldn't find good enough ones for my cars.

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greig. Great info as usual.
Would the change be about the same time for Spider and Sprint?
Ulf

·
Administrator
3,901 Posts
Ulf, I would say yes as the engine/gearbox combinations were supplied to both Pininfarina & Bertone at the same time, plus the floor shift only arrived in March '56 with the arrival of the Veloce models. Hoffman insisted that the Spiders were all floor shift, so the '56's I have on file all but one have the bent lever & that one has had the box worked on - we know this as the shift pattern was jumbled which they swapped a column shift box into it & just stuck the floor shift end back onto it which results in a tunnel case having 1-2 and reverse positions being swapped.

All the '57 Spider's I have on file have the straight lever

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is the shifter still available. If so, how much?
Thanks,
Ron
The '56 cars used the bent ones and pics of the '57 cars show the straight one, the earliest '57 Veloce I have on file is E03559 which had a very original interior when found and it has the straight lever - birth date 15 Jan '57

I anyone is looking, I have one of the '56 style bent ones left in fresh chrome from a batch we made as I couldn't find good enough ones for my cars.

Ciao
Greig
Hi,
Is the bent shifter for a early 750 still available?
Thanks,
Ron

·
Administrator
3,901 Posts
Hello Ron

Yes it is and I have sent you a conversation (private message)

Ciao
Greig

·
Administrator
3,901 Posts
Ron check your email, including your spam folder, I've sent you 2 emails & a private 'conversation' message...

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I see a bent shift lever on a 1957 Spider serial number 1207. I had a 1957 Spider with a straight shift lever but, I cannot remember the serial number. I sold the car in 1989.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts