Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 75 was at the mechanics and had to be parked outside over the weekend - here's what happened to the poor old girl.

Broken windscreen, kicked in door and some ugly goop all over the boot.

Rather "peeved" am I.

Kerry.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it's fallen through a gap. I don't insure my cars for anything other than 3rd party, and it was parked on the street not in the workshop or on the grounds. The latter was my decision - I needed to leave two cars knowing there wasn't room for both to be secured away.

The three kids who did it were caught on surveillance video so will probably be caught but I'm not holding my breath for any compensation from that quarter!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
You may be lucky. My Alfa 90 was broken into and the Police got the offenders who were of course young offenders. They ended up with a court order against them for compensation and I actually ended up with more through Justice Dept weekly direct credit than I assessed the damage at.

·
Premium Member
15,430 Posts
So what was the outcome on this?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No luck on any form of compensation.

You know the stories from people who win in transactions - they get a really good buy or sell their car that's about to die? I'm the guy on the other end! :)

I think I'll transfer all the running gear to the Alfetta GT and just enjoy driving an Alfa.

Kerry

·
Premium Member
15,430 Posts
Looks like it wasn't that bad to repair. Must be a used windshield somewhere, and the door should push out easily. The goop? Surely that would clean up?

Wouldn't slow me up much, unless the rest of the car was on it's last legs somehow.

You have something such as "small claims court" where you just make your case in front of a magistrate, and he decides? Costs almost nothing. My brother did one of these, and got money back from a bogus engine repair shop. Of course, you still have to collect if you win...

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hi Del...

Unfortunately living about as far from civilisation on this planet as it's possible to get, Alfa bits don't exactly grow on trees so repairs are never exactly simple...

Having said that... Kerry, if you're in need of parts, I know where to find most bits... Drop me a PM if you need

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Del

It probably is repairable, but even before the vandalism it was already "tired" needing a lot of little things sorting out. Now it's just more effort than I have energy for.

For example, I have an old 75 with intact windscreen but I can't find someone prepared to try taking it out and fitting to the twinspark. Even when I say the removal is at my risk. Christchurch is small and still recovering from major earthquakes. There's just not much depth in the markets so tradesmen stick to the easy stuff.

The Alfetta project has been languishing, so using the 75 bits can at least help that move quicker. I've found someone to help me with this project so it's best use of resources.

Making lemonade so to speak.

Kerry.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was convinced by people here and elsewhere not to give up on the 75 so decided to put a new windscreen in. The guy turns up to fit it - takes out the old screen only to find huge amounts of rust underneath. Sigh.

So, back to plan A. Donor for my Alfetta GT.

K

·
Registered
321 Posts
I was convinced by people here and elsewhere not to give up on the 75 so decided to put a new windscreen in. The guy turns up to fit it - takes out the old screen only to find huge amounts of rust underneath. Sigh.

So, back to plan A. Donor for my Alfetta GT.

K
Fix it...:):):)
I gave up on my 1985 90 a few years back due to severe rust in both A-pillars /jacking points/sills and around windscreen, been regretting it ever since. Below is a video of the old girl going for it down our street very early in the morning...miss her. I know there are a lot more 75 TSs around but that won't last?

Aaron

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
What was the rego of yours Aaron? I had a metallic brown 90 V6 as well and there can`t be many in NZ. I thought mine was safe in Invercargill so I`m hoping it wasn`t my old car you had. Beautiful car - I thought nicer than the 75`s I had (A TS & V6) but you are right re the 75 -less and less about but you could say that about their predecessor the Giulietta (which I prefferred)as well. I don`t really think the 75 was one of Alfa's finest though.

·
Registered
321 Posts
What was the rego of yours Aaron? I had a metallic brown 90 V6 as well and there can`t be many in NZ. I thought mine was safe in Invercargill so I`m hoping it wasn`t my old car you had. Beautiful car - I thought nicer than the 75`s I had (A TS & V6) but you are right re the 75 -less and less about but you could say that about their predecessor the Giulietta (which I prefferred)as well. I don`t really think the 75 was one of Alfa's finest though.
Hi Richard
Your old 90 is very safe. Paul is looking after it well and is considering putting a 3L into it. He says that the only thing that will prise the car off him is an Alfa 6 :):) I looked at buying it when it came up for sale on Trademe a year or two back but it didn't work out.

My old 90 was bought by David Harper from the Thames area - he still owns it. I am attempting to get hold of him without success as of yet. The only other registered 90 I know of is a silver 90 Super in the Taranaki area.

75s still tend to polarise Alfa-lovers don't they? Yesterday I test-drove a TS I had owned five years ago. It left me nice and shiny in reasonable order, amazing what five years can do. Regrettably it is in need of a considerable amount of work and the present owner isn't quite at the point of being ready to let it go yet.

Attached is a recent pic of your old 90 Richard. I am sure Paul will not mind.

Aaron

Attachments

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Thanks for that Aaron - of the many cars I`ve had that would be one of my favourites and those photos brought back pleasant memories. I`ve spoken to Paul and glad he is looking after it. Funnily enough I didn`t expect much of the 90 being influenced by road test reports of the time but it exceeded all expectations whereas the 75`s didn`t live up to expectations, even the 3 litre version. Of the 116 berlinas I think the nicest is really the Alfetta and I guess the 90 is sort of a V6 version. I`ve got a soft spot for the Giulietta and have owned several but build quality was crap, especially the add on pieces such as window trim etc but the 75 just leaves me cold. Best 75 though that I had anything to do with was the 1.8 version which drove more like the Giulietta and for some reason seemed purer in the body design. Just my opinion though...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Speaking of 116 Giuliettas, I am attempting to arrange a viewing of a white one in Te Puke. Has been off the road for some years. According to the seller there appears to be no rust. Just hope this one was one which has been tectyled from new. My last blue 1.8 Giulietta was, and genuinely only had on 10cent size rust spot on the boot - quite remarkable how well they can hold up if looked after. I fear this one will may be slightly different :-(...but hope I am pleasantly surprised.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts