Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I had a few questions about the boot of my 1987 75ts.

1st- the boot is not supporting itself when its open.. the slightest whisper of wind and the boot is shut. Is there a way for me to adjust/tension the boot lid springs?

2nd- Is there any other way to open the boot other than the lever under the drivers seat?

thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Yes, it is a pain having the release lever under the seat. I plan to fit one of those boot opening solenoids you can buy at Jaycar and auto parts places and adapt an old immobiliser and remote to open it. Unfortunately nobody seems to make a remote boot opener; only push button ones. As for the springs, you can stretch them and fit them onto one of the extra holes they have on the bracket. I haven't tried it yet because they take some effort to stretch. You have to watch the bloody thing doesn't come down on your head in the wind. It would be nice if there was a way to fit gas struts to it.

Your car looks great by the way.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yeah, nice photo, of a fellow Oz 75. :)

My boot springs are also 'loose', but also fitted onto the 'tightest' holes, and nowhere to go. What I have done, is modify the spring using cable ties: remove the spring, slide off the plastic boot/cover; use 2 or 3 (or more) thickish cable ties (eg: 5mm wide versions), and hold together something like 3-5 coils. Holding these coils together to form one 'solid' group of coils, means the spring is less stretchy; the remaining coils behave 'tighter', and will hold the boot lid up. Do this on both sides; experiment with how many coils you need to group together, because it could be still too loose or end up too tight (and boot lid will be too springy).

When I first did this, I had 2x 4mm wide cable ties on each spring, and they later snapped. So I think 3 or more per spring, and thicker/stronger cable ties will be reliable. Or use metal versions.

:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the quick replies!
@shiny_car - thats a great solution.. at the right price to :)

you will be please to know i have just picked my car up this afternoon after having exhaust therapy. Its sounding really great and even has a little more poke.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
mine was loose when i got my car, so dad and i adjusted the springs to the last hole. that was fine for 4 years, but recently its loosened again where the boot falls by itself.

i was thinking a bit trickier than cable ties... like, cut 2 coils off and then get a small butane torch or oxy and bend the next coil into a hook. 2 coils at a time so i dont take too many off.
metal ties sounds good though, because i reckon even with time the big plastic ones are bound to be worn through with rubbing

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Thanks for the link Jazig. I remember reading it. I have made a PDF of it now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts