Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first Alfa, a '75 Spider, and I would greatly appreciate any help with obtaining
a wiring diagram if anyone has one.
Thanks for any help.
Erwin Gaspin

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Welcome aboard the board Erwin and to the world of Alfa!
I'll check for a 75 Spider diagram when I get home tonight. If I do have one, it won't be colorized but a copy of a copy of a......well, it might be better than nothing.

·
16,232 Posts
Well, not only do I not have a 75 diagram, but the 76 I do have is virtually unreadable when printed. I'll try to come up with a readable copy for a 75 this weekend.

·
16,232 Posts
Good news Erwin! I can make a copy of an original '75 Spider diagram and mail it to you if you'd like.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Erwin - I also have a copy of a '75 Spider wire diagram from the owner's manual. In fact, I have a photocopy of the entire owner's manual. I could make you another copy if you want. It'd come out to about about 40 copies (its a 78 page booklet, half sheets) plus postage. If you'd like a copy I'll stop by Office Max and make you one. I used to have the original book, but gave it to another guy who had a '75, but no owner's manual.

Alfa owner's manuals are much more detailed, especially from a maintenance standpoint, than what you've probably seen before. Let me know. Occassionally you can find them on Ebay, but not very often.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Wiring Diagram

Hey Guy,

I hate to break it to you but Alfa Romeo Owner's manual wiring diagrams are completely useless. I have both an original owners manual and an early 70's vintage workshop manual for my 71 Spider, and I can say from experience that it was no help. Earlier this summer I had some wiring melt under the hood from extreme heat and age, causing a huge electrical fire..... It was a total mess, I thought as most people would to look at a diagram to see colors, and where wires went, But as it would happen, the diagrams were in black and white, and gave no real mention as to where the wires went or their color.

I had to take the whole dash out of my car, and trace the wires from the wiring harness to figure out what went where. It wasnt terribly hard, it was just time consuming. Needless to say I have my 71 back on the road after 2 weeks of replacing wires, but I wouldnt sweat the diagram much.

the easiest way to tell is the first 3 fuses from the left are for ignition system ..... the rest operate lights and small devices..... Easy way..... turn the car's ignition on ..... and remove one fuse at a time and see what doenst work.... that way you will know what wires go where..... the only thing I think diagram will do for you is take the leg work out of figuring which fuse goes to what device.

I am guessing by your asking for a diagram for your car, that there is some electrical problem you need to fix. If there is a problem, I would post it, because more than likely some Alfa owner has probably experienced it, or has known some one who has. I pretty much know where everything goes in my spider so if you have any questions seeing as how your car is almost identical to mine.... just give a hollar and I will do my best to get an answer for you.

Best of luck..

Martin.

71 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

87 Alfa Romeo Quadrifolio Spider.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Papajam's made some real nice color diagrams. The 73-74s are darn close to the 71s with the exception of some of the seat belt wiring, etc.

As far as the owner's manuals go, they're not IN color, but they are color coded. At least the 74 and 75 owners manuals are. If you're using the Cardisc, I think those wire diagrams don't have it or at least they don't have enough resolution to see them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Guys:
I cannot believe that I made such a stupid mistake, but I actaully need help with the wiring for a '76 Spider. I was looking at the manufacture date(12/75) when I said that I had purchased a 1975. The exact thing that I need to know is where each of the wires that connect to the ignition go i.e. which post. the car that I bought had all of the ignition wires cut. I guess that the previous owner was a very popular guy!
Sorry for my mistake and thanks for the help.

·
16,232 Posts
ecg02,
Without getting into whether your Spider is a '75 or '76 (I think it's a '75), the ignition circuits for both years are the same. You didn't specify if the ignition wires were cut at the coil or the ignition switch so here's a description for both.

Coil;
A 16 gauge green with a black stripe wire goes to one side of the ballast resistor (doesn't matter which side). The other side of the ballast resistor goes to coil + (or B+).
Also going to coil + is a 16 ga violet wire (from the ign switch).
Coil - (or D) has a 16 ga black wire that goes to the distributor.

Ignition switch;
16 ga violet to terminal #16
14 ga brown to term #15/54
12 ga black to term # 50
12 ga red to term # 30
The black and red/black stripe wires on the switch are for the key reminder buzzer.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Papjam: if you_could mail me copy of the wiwing diagram for the '76, I would really appreciate it greatly. Just let me know what I owe you.
Thanks for all of your help.
Erwin Gaspin
115 East 66th Street
Savannah, GA 31505

1 - 12 of 12 Posts