Alfa Romeo Forums banner

75 Newbie Help!!

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  thealfamale 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

I have just purchased a alfa 75 twinspark which for the most part is in good condition :)

But there is one issue that I was hoping someone could help with

When turning left with a decent amount of lock the front left tire starts to rub against what I believe is the inner stone guard and creates a loudish noise

The Mags are factory 14" with 195/60 tires on all 4

Has anyone come across this problem before and know how to fix it ?

Thanks in advance

Nick

#4 ·
There's a couple of things you can check before Monday.

Ground clearance, has it been lowered? What is the clearance under the sump on flat ground?

Wheelbase. Has it been hit in the front left?

Hook a tape measure on the back of the rear rim at hub height and measure to the back of the front rim. Do both sides and add the results. It should equal 5020mm (2510 x 2).

#7 ·
Hey All

Went to the mechanic on Monday and he said a alignment and getting something to hold back the side skirt should sort it out ,I got some tapper type screws from a repair shop which should hopefully do the business

Now my next question is ....... whats the easiest way to find out were a coolant leak is coming from ?

The 75 is going through a reservoir full of coolant every couple of days so something is up

Lastly I put in 42 litres of 95 octane today how many ks should I expect to get out of it if all is well . Half of my run is motorway and the other 1/2 is traffic

In the 33 I would get around 450/500 if I drove like a nanna

Cheers

Nick

#8 ·
G'Day Nick,

Now my next question is ....... whats the easiest way to find out were a coolant leak is coming from ?
With the eyes. ;)

The 75 is going through a reservoir full of coolant every couple of days so something is up
Seriously though, most of it may be coming out the cap, mine maintains a level somewhere just below halfway.

Lastly I put in 42 litres of 95 octane today how many ks should I expect to get out of it if all is well . Half of my run is motorway and the other 1/2 is traffic

In the 33 I would get around 450/500 if I drove like a nanna
Well I get a steady 10l/100km day on day out except for country cruising when I can get 7.5l/100km.

I know of someone else who averages 8l/100km but he drives like a nanny.

It's a 49 litre tank and I tend to fill up at about 40l so I get around 400km/tank but would get about 530k/tank on the open road but could squeeze 630k (47 litres).

#9 ·
ahah yeah eyes help

I only ask because it didn't like it was leaking from the top , usually its pretty messy if it does and looks like a pigsty

But when it has got pretty hot its taken a good 40 mins or so to get to that point maybe theres a minor crack or lose connector

Also I forgot to ask do you run your 75 on 91 or 95 ? assuming you get those octane ratings in australia

Thanks

Nick

G'Day Nick,

With the eyes. ;)

Seriously though, most of it may be coming out the cap, mine maintains a level somewhere just below halfway.

Well I get a steady 10l/100km day on day out except for country cruising when I can get 7.5l/100km.

I know of someone else who averages 8l/100km but he drives like a nanny.

It's a 49 litre tank and I tend to fill up at about 40l so I get around 400km/tank but would get about 530k/tank on the open road but could squeeze 630k (47 litres).

#13 ·
Thanks guys

Craig your site is awesome , when its not crapping down with rain il go have a look at the o2 sensor

Ok time for newbie questions no# 113

The car came with additional springs which measure 36 cm in height from the start to the top of the coil , they are red and have the marking 05-005 rear

I think i know what the rear bit means :rolleyes: but the rest is a mystery to me

Does anyone know from the info given if they will lower the car or just make it stiffer ?

I would post pics but my camera is in the US of A with my olds

Cheers

Nick

#18 ·
Ok time for newbie questions no# 113

The car came with additional springs which measure 36 cm in height from the start to the top of the coil , they are red and have the marking 05-005 rear

I think i know what the rear bit means :rolleyes: but the rest is a mystery to me

Does anyone know from the info given if they will lower the car or just make it stiffer

Hi Nick...I've got some Jamex springs knocking around the workshop if you want to compare!

PS: who's doing the work on your car?

#14 ·
They're probably lowering springs, especially seeing as they're painted red:D. It's hard to say how much without having a standard spring out of a car to compare with, and unfortunately it's not as easy as comparing the free length because it depends on the stiffness as well. There's one easy way to find out though.........:D

Scott

#15 ·
Unfortunately I don't have the space or the tools to do much with the springs at the moment

Another note does anyone know the socket that you need to remove the lug from the oil pan ?

it seems 24 m isn't big enough :(

#19 ·
Hi Mike

Could be a idea at a later date

Im not to bothered with the springs at the moment because I don't have much time to sus it out

I am just taking the car to the usual suspects

Pete on the shore and tony in onehunga

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.