Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much trouble would i be going to if i wanted to turn my gtv 2.0 into a gtv6 using a 75 donor car is it possible at all, pros and cons or anyone who has done such a project, i'd like to hear from you .Thanks guys

·
Registered
625 Posts
That's an interesting idea. It really depends on how much money you have, and what you are trying to accomplish with the project. The pros would be horsepower, and if you can do the conversion right you will keep the 50/50 weight distribution. The cons would be cost, the challenge of getting everything to line up right, time etc. I am assuming you have a 3.0L in the 75, would you do any engine modifications? Suspension mods? Be more specific if you can and you will get a better answer, and probably a whole skew of suggestions.

·
Registered
141 Posts
5yearplan is right, but a more down to earth answer as well is that it's very hard to do. This is because even though a gtv 2000 and a gtv6 look alike, they are technically very different animals. a 75 and a gtv6 have much more in common. The engine mounts are completely different, the wiring is totally different (battery in the trunk), the car layout is different (gas tank location)...

I agree that it'd be worthwhile to do it, because of the benefits 5yearplan mentions, but a very difficult task.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
The engine mounts are completely different,
He might be referring to the GTV 2.0 116 chassis. He didn't say what year and where he was posting from. If it is the GTV 2.0 116 chassis, the motor mounts will fit fine. Just get a GTV6 hood and you are pretty much set.

If he is talking about the 105 Bertone GTV 2.0, then it is more difficult.

So... gsuvajac.. what year is your GTV 2.0?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your answers guys. My car is a gtv 116 2.0L 84 model and i want to turn it into a gtv6 using a 75 donor car , could i use most of the running gear from the 75, engine mounts will be from the 75 i think they are the same as gtv6 ones. Just interested in the obstacles that i would face in doing this like petrol tank from 75 and gtv6 are in different positions ,battery in different position, longer tailshaft in the 75 ,electricals , sway bar compatibility, rear de dion are they the same will they fit ,things like that. All info very much apreciated.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mech wise the drive shaft length will have to be dealt with. either shorted by a shop or finding a gtv6 one. The big problem is the wiring. I would split it into chassis and engine, keeping the old wiring with the chassis for the lights and such, and engine on its own. I would keep it simple and use the manual rack instead of power steering. Swaybars should be bigger than gtv6 stock ones so thats good. fuel tank piping will have to be made to matchfor the EFI. I would do it.

Tom

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Has been done a stack of times.

Depends whether you want to replicate the GTV6 (very hard) or just stuff in a big motor and go fast (not so hard)

Thoughts:
To make it considerably easier, stick with the 2.0 tailshaft and clutch. They are cheaper but you might have to replace bits a bit more often (eg donuts and clutch plates).

Keep the 2.0 suspension, but change the front brakes.

Wiring up the computer could be a right pain, unless you are elect adept.

Don't worry about changing the tank, just get an underfloor fuel pump (like a 2.5 or 2.0 75)

If you use a 164 manifold, you can keep your bonnet

...all I can think of in a hurry. Good luck

·
Registered
625 Posts
Get a fuel cell, and underfloor pump. If you are going to do the work you might as well do it rally style, go-tech engine management and cams, etc. Otherwise you might want to look into turboing the 2.0. Just my 2 cents. BTW I have a GTV6 driveshaft for sale (no guibos though) if you are interested.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Drive shafts for the 2.0 will not bolt on the 6 engine flywheel, and the flywheel is not swapable or balanced to match up. for hood clearance how about a scoop like Callaway turbo style?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Or a cowl... I think they look better than scoops on Alfa's at least

·
Registered
94 Posts
no problem at all!

quite a few guys over here in australia have done this no problem.
and have even done this job with the sedan model also,

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would make a price chart detailing the work and expense to swap engines. Then make another one comparing it to the time an expense of turbo charging or supercharging the 4. Also compare the horsepower for money spent, or how much horsepower you can get either way given a specific budget.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I would make a price chart detailing the work and expense to swap engines. Then make another one comparing it to the time an expense of turbo charging or supercharging the 4. Also compare the horsepower for money spent, or how much horsepower you can get either way given a specific budget.
A basic turbo will win that comparison - even a simple system will put out 200+ hp and be reasonable to drive. Probably not legal most places though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
yeah,
you can do a autodelta turbo(carbs)
1 purchase the car $2kaus v6
hope there is nothing wrong with it,extra expenses?
convert everything over,if you can do it no expense,otherwise $1k
engine mounts $600
custom made exhaust twin $1k
engineer report $600.
about 4k-5k for a 150-160hp for a standard 2.5 v6.
is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
A friend had a turbodelta way back (one of the John French conversions). It was a real weapon (huge turbine chatter on upshifts - sounded awesome).

I don't think converting to a standard 2.5 litre V6 makes a lot of sense financially - better to just go and buy one. Conversion to a 3.0+ litre V6 is a bit better, but again, easier and possibly cheaper to get a GTV6 and then do the conversion. If you are starting with a 4 cyl, a turbo will be the quickest, easiest and cheapest way to go fast.

A third option, if you want to go real fast, and like the whole conversion thing, is to slot in a late model *** motor - Nissan SR20 turbo out of a 180SX or 200SX would be real cool, Mazda 13B turbo is also possible, wonder if a Lexus V8 would fit.....?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did a bit of homework on the weekend, sway bars from the 75 will fit the gtv 2.0 l but torsion bars from the 75 are to short and can't go on the gtv, so i will have to stick with the 2.0 litre ones until i can get some gtv6 ones, also the tailshaft of the 75 is too long and it wont fit, new engine mounts will have to be welded in to accomodate the v6.I think that i will be going to to much trouble to do this, is there anyone out there that can convince me otherwise.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
How about buying a GTV6 instead, that will solve you some money and time. I hope I am making sense.....
It should not be that hard to find a decent GTV6, depending on your location.

Goodluck

Giorgio

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
How about using the 75TS as a doner car. The 4 cyl TS has 150hp vs the 2.5 at 155hp. It drops right in. You keep the 50/50 distribution of the Alfetta and bump up your power.

I'll bet you actually have a donor car available, that is why you are asking? If you don't have one already, I'd say the 75TS is the cheapest engine swap for an Alfetta.

·
Registered
140 Posts
depends...

on what you want... if u want a straight gtv6 conversion, in oz, its far better to buy a gtv6.... the market as it is... no one can really ask more than 4-5k anyways for a 6 in restorable condition. That said, a real gtv6 will hold value better than a conversion...

on the other hand, if you want to resto-mod it, may as well stay w/ the car you have anyways... the cost will be high and any marginal loss on extra fab is negligible... not much sense buying a genuine gtv6 and ripping out its 2.5, engine management and suspension etc...

if u plan on power, modify the gtv with a 3.0 or turbo... and fit a TS g/b... if you're planning on restoring your car, modifying to accept these changes is no big deal.... doing so without a restoration would be pointless IMO... far better to buy a 'good' 6...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts