Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I foolishly removed this relay without noting which of the three wires went on the three spade connectors. Unfortunately I'm not even positive it is a relay (though pretty sure) or what its function is. Just always been there.

It does not show up in the two - '75 & '76 Alfetta - wiring diagrams I have. However, it is definitely factory installed/original. It is a Fiamm - made in Italy.

If you could look see if your Alfetta has one, I'd sure appreciate it if you'd identify which wires go where and hopefully also tell me what it is for.

On my Alfetta GT it is located across left (driver's side) of the alternator, near the voltage regulator.

The details are:

Wires:
Black
Red
Orange

Numbers for connectors:
4/87
3/85
1/30/51

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Biba

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Orange wire. I thought those only were for the brake warning circuit.
The horn relay is on the fuse panel.
I forget if your car had A/C.
My non A/C 76 has no relays under the hood. and I can't remember any on my 77 that did have A/C.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, horn works fine. And yes my '75 Alfetta GT came with factory A/C.

Interesting comment, Paul, regarding the brake warning. All of the time I was trying to fix the alternator light not going on (another story - I think) the brake warning light always came on (without the relay hooked up). Then briefly today neither light came on when turning on the ignition switch (relay hooked up - see below). After properly grounding the alternator, its light came on, but not the brake warning light.

I had the relay hooked up with the red wire on 1/30/51, black on 3/85, orange on 4/87, and the casing was grounded - but brake warning light did not come on. Now with the relay removed the brake warning light will still not come on. All fuses appear to be fine.

Biba

Paul - after removing the center instrument panel I found I had access to the bent rod which connects from the vent lever to the center vent. The plastic connection on the vent was broken. At the moment I have a 3 mm flat washer JB Welded (still drying) to the broken plastic piece. If all goes well I can once again open the vent with the lever.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Paul nailed it. Alfas of this period use orange wires pretty much only the brake warning circuit. Apologies Biba for sending you the non-A/C version diagram. The non-A/C versions have the brake warning light relay in the fuse panel while the A/C versions have the relay in the engine bay. The wires connect to the relay thus;

red - terminal 85
black - terminal 30
orange - terminal 87

A 1976 color diagram is on the way.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First a complaint. Am I the only one who doesn't always get email notices when someone has replied to a thread I'm on, or more importantly started? I just gave it a shot and there was just what I was looking for.

Jim, wrote it down (short memory), ran out to the shop, hooked up the wires to the relay, and voila, the brake warning light came on. I didn't start the engine but assume it will go out once started.

What a beautiful wiring diagram. Thank you. I've not done this before but will try to put the pdf on a CD and take it to Kinkos to print out. Not complaining mind you but I assume this is for the sedan, not the GT. Not sure how many differences there would be between the two.

It will be nice to button the instrument panel back up.

IF (note big IF) by any chance you had an early Euro Alfetta GT diagram that would be perfect. While there are no doubt a few wires tucked away on my car that went to the Spica, the engine is pretty much Euroized. On the other hand, I don't think European Alfettas came with factory A/C. Oh well.

Biba

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The diagram I sent (the second time) is specific for the 76 GT with A/C. I haven't (yet) drawn any 116 series Sedan color diagrams.
I have a Euro Alfetta GT 1.8l black & white diagram from a 7/74 owners manual. It lacks (at least) both the A/C and brake relay wiring but you're welcome to have it if you think it will be of help. Just let me know and I'll scan it for you.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim, I'm not at all familiar with the Sedan's instrument layout but thought that since you had the tach and speedo next to one another on the diagram you sent me, it was for the Sedan.

For now, hold off on the Euro 1.8 diagram, but if for some reason it 'might' help a situation I'm up against, I'll contact you.

Again, thanks much. I've been doing some tuning on the carbs this afternoon and the brake warning light has been working/going off fine. Funny, though at first it wouldn't come on when using the emergency brake, but now it does. Perhaps the relay was still thinking it over since my first guesstimate wiring of it wasn't even close.

Paul, if you're still tuning in, so far my JB Welding of a 3 mm flat washer is holding on my center air vent flap's lever. For some reason it won't open all the way and that is probably how it got broken in the first place - by my trying to force it.

Biba

1 - 8 of 8 Posts