Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a "friend" that has a '74 spider, no really, it's not me... First off the car has a bad clutch slave cylinder... yes, this needs to be addressed but the problem it causes is a little more concerning.

If you are driving the car and, for example, the clutch decides to engage while you're on the brakes the engine stalls. That's normal and we understand it... the problem is the car will not restart following a stall. I've driven the car a few times and it seems to start fine usually but if it stalls your stuck for a few hours before it will fire up again.

I thought it was a battery thing since it cranks a little slow but even on jumpers to a healthy car and full battery voltage the engine will not fire up unless you give it a long rest.

Any ideas why?
-Raffi

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
my old spider with spica used to wet the plugs if you tried to start while warmed up. used to be a pizza place 2 miles from work, had to take a set of pluggs with me to change after lunch. a temporary fix is to disconnect the auto rich solenoid on the spica.
cliff

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
'74 Won't Start After Stall

I have a "friend" that has a '74 spider, no really, it's not me... First off the car has a bad clutch slave cylinder... yes, this needs to be addressed but the problem it causes is a little more concerning.

If you are driving the car and, for example, the clutch decides to engage while you're on the brakes the engine stalls. That's normal and we understand it... the problem is the car will not restart following a stall. I've driven the car a few times and it seems to start fine usually but if it stalls your stuck for a few hours before it will fire up again.

I thought it was a battery thing since it cranks a little slow but even on jumpers to a healthy car and full battery voltage the engine will not fire up unless you give it a long rest.

Any ideas why?
-Raffi
From the get-go, since I'm not a techie, dismissing the clutch problem that supposedly caused the stall in the first place and dealing only with the stalling issue. I've had several Alfas that have done this, the worst offender my 79 sedan. I'd pull into a service station and buy gas or stop and go into the market for a few minutes and it would not start until it had sat for sometime. This happened occasionally from a stall. Anyway, it was identified as a hot start problem....so that may also be a consideration. If it is that, there are several ways to fix it, the correct way, the wrong way, the half-a** way, and the cheap way. I'm sure there are others on the bb who can pick the appropriate way and give you direction if that ends up being your problem. I'm not going to tell you how mine was fixed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts