Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I need to replace my '74 door panels & lube the interior door workings.

What's the trick to removing the window crank and interior door handle on the Kamm tail spiders? I believe the ones on my car are early examples - no set screws behind black inserts etc.

Is there a special trim tool here, or trick for removal?

Thanks - Dickson

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Get a big paper clip. Straighten it out. Get a pair of pliers and grab the smallest bit at one end of the paper clip that you can. Bend it just a bit more than 90 degrees, so it's a tiny little hook. Now if you push in on your door panel a bit, you should be able to see a wire clip holding the crank in place. Hook it with your paper clip on the side away from the handle and yank it out (but don't let it fly away). The crank will now pull right off. Same thing with the door handle.

I keep a paper clip bent this way in my tool box.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do I push on a spring with a tiny hook, Gordy? :p

Just kidding. Like many things, it will probably be obvious now that I know the trick, and am reversing the process. ;)

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Yeah, one you have the thing off and can take a look at it from the back, it will be obvious (kind of like the directional indicator between the pods; for the life of me I couldn't figure out how it's held on until I finally figured out it just pulls forward and slides out of a bracket; once you can see it it makes perfect sense). I sort of "balance" the spring in place in the slot it lives in, put the crank on the stem, and push the spring the rest of the way with a screw driver or some such thing.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Would one of these work to shove it out instead of pulling?
(just curious)
Maybe, depends on how the width of the slot matches up with the slot behind the crank that the spring lives in. A paperclip is a lot cheaper, though, and I don't have to go to the auto parts store to get one. :)

·
Banned
213 Posts
special tools

the factory does make one tool to take the slack out of the regulator cable but I think that is the only factory tool that applies to that procedure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts