Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am considering an Alfa, and am very new to the car. My intention is to use the car as a weekend driver, but mostly as a my first 'part-time' restoration attempt. Please keep in mind I say 'part-time' because I am mostly a poor person and or 'cheap' person; I know this seems in conflict with restoration goals.

I took this 1974 Spider for a test drive today, but I wanted to hear what people thought about the body damage. It doesn't show in the photo, but the front left bumper is very loose as a result of the owner backing into this Spider with his F150.

Observations, in a 20 min initial inspection.
- Body is in moderate condition. No rust underneath (SoCal). Used to be red, horrible paint job. Canvas is in great shape, but rear plastic window is gone of course gone. Interior is in horrible shape; just ugly and torn up. Dash has huge cracks. Tapped in a few key places and didn't see anything else that looked like it was filled. Seemed to drive straight, but has a salvage title!

-Engine had oil leaks around the covers, but nothing i didn't expect to see on a 74. SPICA makes me nervous, but seems like a unique feature. Smelled of gas/exhaust while we drove it quickly around the block. He pointed out that he repaired a fuel line a while back. The 'choke' lever was broken, so I needed to give it extra 'gas' until it warmed. He said it slips out of reverse sometimes, but didn't for me. Crunched a little when shifting into second (read this is typical).

Is this hard for a body shop to repair this type of damage? Is there anything else I should look for? Is $2000 a fair price? Should I be nervous about SPICA?
:confused:

Thanks for any thoughts,
-Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses! Looks like I will keep on searching. He seemed very firm on the price, so I think I will make a counter-offer once I have it looked at. Fortunately, thanks to the links on this site I think I can take the car to this shop. Dan seems to have a great reputation:

Foreign Auto Menders (San Diego, CA). Dan Wells.
13955 Poway Rd., Suite C, Poway CA 92064. 858-486-0350

I will post his evaluation on this site next week; Thanks again for the insights!
-Paul

PS - WTB: Alfa Spider in Southern California. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts