Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering selling my 74 Spider and need help figuring out about what its worth. The details:
Black (I think originally yellow) 1974 Spider with a 1750 motor, SPICA injection. I haven’t run it in about a year but when parked the SPICA was tuned and working quite well. Parked the car due to a bit of bearing noise in the motor, sounds like bottom end. I was going to pull the motor and do a rebuild but time and funds just aren’t there.
The body is straight with just a couple of door dings. Front rocker panel rust is present and accounted for but not excessive. The interior is ok, but just ok. Seats have good covers with no rips but whoever recovered them didn’t reinstall the head rests. Wood steering wheel and shift knob are both in pretty good condition, the dash pad is cracked, all gauges work. AM/FM CD player is in and working with speakers mounted behind the seats. The top is non original in type, made of vinyl, but works ok and has no rips. The rear window is usable but a little cloudy. Transmission is good with the 2nd gear syncro in its normal state of lax function. The box shifts well. The rear end is quiet and nice. Suspension rubber needs replacing. Wheels are from Campy, are magnesium, 6.5x14 and are pretty cool looking. Never seen any like them any where else. Tires are Yokahama AVS qith maybe half their life to go. Other than that its an old Alfa and a lot of fun. I just dont think I'll be getting to it for a while and I have other projects sitting farther up the to do list that need funding. So, whats it worth? Any ideas?

Thanks, Ed

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Well, depending on how straight the stainless bumpers are and how cool those wheels really are, the engine, wheels and bumpers are probably worth about $1500 in parts. Obviously, you're not selling a parts car but that may give you a starting point. Sometimes it's actually a little easier to sell a parts car than a project car but one of my pet peeves is the number of very restorable early Spiders that have been parted out for their bumpers. Sure you don't want to keep it? Find a terminally rusted Spider with a running 2L and swap it out. Then you can sell the 1750 (which is incorrect for that car anyway) for decent money. Good luck. Some pictures (particularly of the rocker rust) might help in an assessment.

Bill

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Pics would be very helpful, because from the description it sounds like this car needs a lot of work, some of it not necessarily minor (engine, rust)... It sounds to me like this vehicle is the "range" parts - project car, for it would take a lot of $$$ to make it roadworthy, but this is truly just a best guess since it's not really possible to evaluate a car based on a small description...

Best regards,

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
If the bumpers are good, I'd say maybe $700 to knowledgeble alfisiti. If rust is worse than very minor, probably no more than $500. Sounds like a bad color change respray, so that probably means a strip and respray at big $$$$.

A person buying a non-runner is not going to (nor should they) take your word for anything. So, they're going to have to assume the differential and tranny unserviceable as well as the engine.

You take a tremendous hit selling a non-running car. A non-runner to me is assumed to be a parts car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys. On the 1750, yep, dont compute but the guy I bought it from had the motor, and a motorless car, and put em together. I prefer the 1750 myself so to me it was a selling point. I too hate the idea of parting out a restorable Alfa but that may be what happens if I decide it really does have to go. As to being a non runner? I can run it, I just decided not to anymore. If its being sold then I'll have it running so the buyer can fell the car and hear the knock. I'll post a few pictures soon.

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts