Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Unimpressed with the clunky ride of my new 74 spider, I'm considering replacing the shock. going over bumps, it feels like the car is bottoming out, which i think it is, hitting the rubber bumpers. likely not a disaster, but I'm thinking new shocks should fix this issue. So, I looked on centerline and International. Is anyone familiar with KYB or OE shocks? I was more interested in spending the $60-75 per corner than the $120 for koni or bilstien, but thought it wise to consult an opinion other than my wallet's.

Also looking to fix my 2nd (and 3rd) gear grind. I suppose i ought to read the past posts before asking, but what is considered the best budget fix? I found a $600 quasi rebuilt tranny available at APE, I hear you can get your rebuilt for ~2k, eek. is there a resource that explains the DIY tranny rebuild? that strikes me as another possible sub 1k solution.

She also backfires on deceleration. When i got it it ran well besides the backfiring. I got half way through adjusting the TA before i got distracted,something seemed fishy, but i need to go back to my notes. it's not still backfiring on decel but also, on a cold start it will die when you give it too much gas. but after 1 minute of warming up that goes away and it runs normally. any thoughts?

thanks!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Welcome to the BB!

I would suggest that you spend some time reviewing past threads, as these three topics you mention (suspension, transmission rebuild, SPICA tunning) are very extensive, and they have been covered on the BB in many threads... You could also re-start any of the existing discussions, by posting more specific questions on one of the relevant threads. Just for starters, regarding you suspension, I would first ensure that after 33 years your springs are up to par...

Best regards,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts