Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1976 Alfetta GT, 2018 Giulia Sport
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our Central Calif AROC chapter got this request.
In N/W Los Angeles area, a 74 Spider shell, in pretty rough shape. Looks pretty much gutted. Owner hopes it may have some worth to somebody, he just wants it to "go to a good home" rather than scrap it.
Who would want to come and haul it away????? From a CL listing the owner got interest from a "junk yard in the SF bay area" but thought the guy "did not pass the smell test". Larry Sr at APE????????????
74 spider 01.jpeg
74 spider 02.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
Looks like a great candidate for the next AROSC White Turkey auction! And I know just the auctioneers who could move it.

·
Premium Member
1968 1750 Roundtail Spider Euro version
325 Posts
as a worser alternative - Larry may come pick it up..call him

·
Registered
74 Spider 78 Spider 84 Spider
788 Posts
looks like a nice straight body from the picture. Don't see any rust issues. the deck lid appears to be minor surface rust. but rockers and such look clean.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Unfortunately I've no experience to add to this conversation, but I'm quite interested to see what happens to this shell as in a year's time I will have a shell from my donor car which I will part with. Where "a year" means "once I finally pull all the parts out".

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
looks like a nice straight body from the picture. Don't see any rust issues.
Uh, are we looking at the same car?

Reactions: PSk

·
Administrator
14,476 Posts
You can tell the owner is a single guy from that photo :D

Make a cheap basis for a race car
Pete

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
You can tell the owner is a single guy from that photo
... or about to become a single guy if that &^%$# car doesn't depart soon.

Reactions: PSk

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On our transaxle cars this is called the rear brake access port.
My guess is to have him call APE, dealing with that Larry guy, and have it carted off.
OBTW, Larry Sr has done lots of favors for me over the years. Making me part with my $$$ while I smile at the same time. And some philosophy thrown in for free.
I found some info from the local email that started this quest. It sounds like the owner is a real car guy, probably just hates to have another old car junked.
" I’m an active member in Central Coast British Car Club and SoCal Timing Association/SCTA (Racing El Mirage and Bonneville Salt flats). As such I have enough projects and would like clear the Alfa within two weeks. "

·
Registered
74 Spider 78 Spider 84 Spider
788 Posts
Uh, are we looking at the same car?

This photo did not come up when I first saw the posting....that's rather bad for a So Cal car. looks like a lot of rain with the top down and never dried out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Are there more pics of the car, or an lineage info? I KNOW its a longshot, but I had the same color/repaint in Chicago that I moved to CA and I drove it year round in IL, which would explain the rust above the rear.... If I could see the front and rear I would know immediately.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
.that's rather bad for a So Cal car. looks like a lot of rain with the top down and never dried out.
Oh, cars do rust out here - don't let anyone tell you otherwise. And yes, it is usually caused by rain soaking the sound insulation and being allowed to sit. It happens with convertibles in particular, especially when they are of an age to be considered as beaters, so left outdoors, owned by non-caring people, etc. Mid 70's Alfas seem to rust more than other years/marques; dunno if that "Russian steel" story has any validity.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, what do we tell the seller???
I say he should see if APE will pick it up? That way the pieces will go to a nice home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts